PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Cosmic some other chaps here might suggest that. Recently somebody raised the issue that certain rose wood could actually be toxic. Also I have had experience with a poorly cleaned estate, that actually made me noxious.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
A movie about stylized leprechauns got you wanting to smoke? Who says movies do not impact badly on people.
I never realized pipe smoking was a bad thing. Thank you for enlightening us.
I really want to pick up this hobby so do y'all know why I feel so terrible the next day or have any advice on how to avoid the sicks?
tzeitel, try slowing down a bit. Get something mild like Carter Hall and stop drinking alcohol while smoking. Sounds like you are overstimulating your body. It takes time to build up enough nicotine tolerance to be able to drink and smoke at the same time. And if you are having lucid dreams, it might be best to not drink or smoke right before bed. :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have always offered the opinion that smoking is bad, both from the economical standpoint and health. But, I've not suggested that one should not start nor cease smoking if aware of and accepting of the negatives. I love my tobacco even as I kick myself for burning up money. Nothing wrong with a well chosen vice. Everyone needs to be a bit foolish in life. That's where the fun comes in and ... one should have some regrets at the end of life or it wasn't a life well lived.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I’d avoid aromatics like Vanilla Custard or Mountain Mist. While I don’t have a problem with aromatics, and will smoke them occasionally, I find they can make me headachy, especially ones that sound super sweet. Find a nice Virginia(Solani 633), English(Frog Morton Cellar, Frog Morton on the Town), or Carter Hall. Suggestions that may help, or not.

Listen to your body. If it doesnt like the smoke, don’t force it to.

Cheers

twosheds1

Lurker
Oct 20, 2016
I've noticed that I react to some wines. My face will get red, and I feel like my body temperature is going up. So, I avoid those wines. Smoking has never given me weird dreams (I don't smoke very often), and the only negative reaction I've gotten is that when I brush my teeth, my tongue will feel like it's burning.
If it's a hobby you want to stick with, try changing things up like others have suggested. Try just a little of the tobacco, and see if you get the same effect, only lessened. Also, an old survival tip I read once: rub some of the tobacco on the soft skin inside of your elbow, then wait a while. If you're reacting to something in the tobacco, your skin will probably turn red there within an hour or so. I've seen that method used to test wild berries and stuff like that before eating them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Smoke till you puke is what I say. Drop the wine and then smoke till you puke and see how much smoking you can get in before puking. If you can get an hour in, then you are doing everything right.
Stop the wine, buy good tobacco and get some good pipes. Forget about smoke rings when it comes to pipes. If you get enough smoke to blow smoke rings then you are taking way too big a puff. I am an expert when it comes to blowing smoke rings. Cigars and cigarettes work best for smoke rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.