PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I came across a beautiful squat bulldog shape in an old Dunhill catalog and liked it so much I had a copy made by J.T.&D. Cooke
Cooke, James T. - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Cooke,_James_T.
back in the 1990's. Their smooth grain copy was well made and is a great smoker, but it is a bit on the small side.
Fast forward through the decades...I visit, for the first time, the awesome on-line pipe shop https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/dunhill/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=568048
and find a 2022 rendering of this old and rare shape in the modern Amber Root finish.
The symmetric cross-grain and finish combination is stunning. Photos do not capture its beauty.
The underside particularly is hypnotic in its shimmering chatoyance, like a cat's eye jewel.
You get a better sense of it by watching the pipe's video on the link.

Very happy with the purchase. It is difficult to find well grained Dunhills of recent manufacture, and this shape holds a special place in me heart.

The description from smokingpipes.com:
"The Bulldog is a classic shape, of that there is no doubt, with a distinctly muscular design that focuses the attention on the bowl. Dunhill has here rendered that shape in an interesting way with this "17", featuring muscular shaping cues and a powerful squatness. The stem is a diamond-shaped taper of jet-black vulcanite whose base is lined with a quartet of firm ridgelines, informing the shape of the shank, a stout stretch of briar that transitions smoothly into the bowl. The bowl itself is incredibly squat, resting on a ridged heel and featuring a pair of beadlines that denote a taper toward the rim. This particular offering is dressed in the warm, vibrant stain of the Amber Root series, showcasing handsome grain throughout the stummel.

One of Dunhill's more recent finishes, the Amber Root was introduced in 1995. Like the Root Briar, it showcases a smooth stain, accentuating the briar's natural grain in traditional style. Typically auburn-hued, the Amber Root is often a touch darker in color than that of the Root Briar, pairing handsomely with the jet-black stem for an aesthetic that combines the grain definition of the Root Briar finish with the darker, smokier tones of the Bruyere."

View attachment 317642

View attachment 317644

View attachment 317645

View attachment 317647
Omg, love that!

Sometimes I rephrase thread titles as I read them -

"Showoff! Your Dunhill pipe's here"

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
Spiffy pipes gents :)
I suppose the bands are factory original to the pipes and not a later addition ?

I am quite sure they are factory original, yes. Unfortunately I can't ask the old man anymore...
The band on the 616 is part of the shankface, not a band around the shank.