PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Birth year 1957 cased set.

View attachment 94319
A stunning pair in every way! But for at least some completely obsessive Dunhill geeks the potentially thrilling fact about your birth year set (given how extraordinarily unlikely it is that you're wrong about the date) might be the "late King George" royal warrant of the case lining FIVE full years after Elizabeth II's accession.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
A stunning pair in every way! But for at least some completely obsessive Dunhill geeks the potentially thrilling fact about your birth year set (given how extraordinarily unlikely it is that you're wrong about the date) might be the "late King George" royal warrant of the case lining FIVE full years after Elizabeth II's accession.
That level of knowledge is above my pay grade, but good to know! Perhaps they had some old cases lying around the shop and finally got around to using them. I've encountered similar mix and match situations with late 30s - early 50s Kaywoodies.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
That level of knowledge is above my pay grade, but good to know! Perhaps they had some old cases lying around the shop and finally got around to using them. I've encountered similar mix and match situations with late 30s - early 50s Kaywoodies.
The narrow issue here that has intrigued quite a number of what might be called Dunhill pipe antiquarians-- is what the rules might have been about English merchants' use of royal warrants, and the specific details of what they were obligated to do when a monarch who'd publicly endorsed them died.

Whatever else, Dunhill makes it clear they (ie the rules and/or their enforcement) must have been pretty fuzzy.

My own working hypothesis has been that the authorities must have been pretty tolerant about allowing companies to use up everything and anything already on hand (and that moreover since it requires some time for a new monarch to dole out brand new warrants to whomever was chosen to regularly supply a vast number of products and services, there had to be a transition period).

Accordingly, my guess is that stationary, for example, could be fairly rapidly and economically changed to "the late King George" and then to "by appointment to Queen Elizabeth." On the other hand, I'd also guess by 1957 Dunhill's expensive leather "Ventage" cases (handcrafted individually to perfectly fit individual pipes) would have been very slow to sell, and the white silk lining printed prior to 1952 were used, accordingly, at an almost glacial pace.

70 years after the fact, I fear hopes have rather dimmed for a Dunhill inside man to chime in with first hand knowledge of what in fact Dunhill did or why. On the other hand, it may still be possible to ascertain what they were meant to do. . . .

jeremiah

Lurker
Jul 14, 2017
Here are a few more of my Dunhills. I think I may have a thing for this particular marque.

These are some of my patent era Root and Bruyere finish Dunhills. The rack is also from the prewar era.

My photography skills are lacking, in comparison to several folks on here.

20210828_130234.jpg

20210828_131026.jpg

jeremiah

Lurker
Jul 14, 2017
Some of my patent era Shell finish pieces, again in a prewar Dunhill rack.

20210828_130315.jpg

A couple more in this image, with the ones from above. One is a "black dot" from having its hole drilled down into the airway of the stem and the dot acting like a straw for tars over the decades. The prince next to it is unsmoked.

20210828_132655.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some of my patent era Shell finish pieces, again in a prewar Dunhill rack.

A couple more in this image, with the ones from above. One is a "black dot" from having its hole drilled down into the airway of the stem and the dot acting like a straw for tars over the decades. The prince next to it is unsmoked.

View attachment 94828
Some of my patent era Shell finish pieces

View attachment 94828
Love the grain on the straight shell bulldog with the saddle stem.
They've really captured the shape of the old Ropp cherrywoods well with that rounded base.

jeremiah

Lurker
Jul 14, 2017
Thanks for the kind words about the tall shell bulldog. I was very chuffed to pick it up when I found it. The rounded bottom cherrywood is a unique piece. I have only seen a couple others like it. They both smoke well to boot.