Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Jun 23, 2019
The great irony is: all it really has is its name but its name wants nothing to do with it.

(OK, to be fair and balanced, Dunhill do still make some pretty handsome classic shapes. I have a couple of bulldogs, billiards, etc but I'd still say ~50% of its MSRP is the "Dunhill" name... Their customer service is top rate though).

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Wow these are some seriously wonderful pipes. I actually don’t own a dunhill maybe too high of a price for my budget.

I used to think this way, but then I realized that excellent estate Dunhills can be bought for around $150 (Marty Pulver’s Prior Briar and Mkelaw Pipes are two websites you can start looking at). I also started thinking about how my average pipe purchase was around $100. Buying a Dunhill was not too far off. If you want a new one, a group 3 Shell Briar will go for around $260 on Al Pascia.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I used to think this way, but then I realized that excellent estate Dunhills can be bought for around $150 (Marty Pulver’s Prior Briar and Mkelaw Pipes are two websites you can start looking at). I also started thinking about how my average pipe purchase was around $100. Buying a Dunhill was not too far off. If you want a new one, a group 3 Shell Briar will go for around $260 on Al Pascia.
Lucky You the outside of EU residents ,the sales tax is deducted whereas the very same group 3 shell will set us back for $ 320, at A Pascia,but their service is outstanding and products too,

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've been eyeing that beautiful since it was originally listed for $2500 ?

Last I saw it was bidding for $150, hope you got it for a reasonable price!

A bit more than $150 but significantly less than $2500. ? It was at $202.50 when I placed my bid.

Given the price was changing by weird amounts I'm assuming a foreign bidder was after it. It looked like I might get it for a very low price but I think it was just the way the bids update based on max bid amounts since it almost doubled shortly after I placed my bid. Whoever was bidding against me would probably be pissed to know my winning bid was below my max bid amount by only $4.87. Had they gone just a bit higher they would've gotten it.

Jun 23, 2019
A bit more than $150 but significantly less than $2500. ? It was at $202.50 when I placed my bid.

Given the price was changing by weird amounts I'm assuming a foreign bidder was after it. It looked like I might get it for a very low price but I think it was just the way the bids update based on max bid amounts since it almost doubled shortly after I placed my bid. Whoever was bidding against me would probably be pissed to know my winning bid was below my max bid amount by only $4.87. Had they gone just a bit higher they would've gotten it.

Recently won pre-PerUlf S. Bang with a similar finesse.

It's a interesting point you bring up about foreign currencies, I definitely also noticed weird increments in bidding as well.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Dunhill pipes bought from the Dunhill flagship store in Jermyn Street / corner of Duke Street, W1 between 1972 - 1988 . . . always most obliging in letting me rummage through their "odd-shapes" drawers in my search for something a bit different.
Receipts I still have show the prices in for example 1978 for Group 1 @£27.15, Group 2 @£34.75 and Group 3 @£43.90 in SHELL and Groups 1 - 3 @£30, £41.30, £54.35 respectively in ROOT BRIAR and BRUYERE.
20200212_062829.jpg

Those were the days when you could buy a 100g tin of NIGHTCAP for £5.68.
I know what pipe tobacco costs today but I dread to look up what a Dunhill pipe costs nowadays.

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Dunhill pipes bought from the Dunhill flagship store in Jermyn Street / corner of Duke Street, W1 between 1972 - 1988 . . . always most obliging in letting me rummage through their "odd-shapes" drawers in my search for something a bit different.
Receipts I still have show the prices in for example 1978 for Group 1 @£27.15, Group 2 @£34.75 and Group 3 @£43.90 in SHELL and Groups 1 - 3 @£30, £41.30, £54.35 respectively in ROOT BRIAR and BRUYERE.
View attachment 19097

Those were the days when you could buy a 100g tin of NIGHTCAP for £5.68.
I know what pipe tobacco costs today but I dread to look up what a Dunhill pipe costs nowadays.
This is really incredible. Wow! Is that a Shell Cavalier on the top row? That is a bucket list pipe of mine. Amazing collection