PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some photos that get posted from time to time, of pipes sawn in half after being thorough smoked, show pretty clearly that nothing gets through from the chamber to the outer surface. So, oils from hands, sunlight, bacon grease (for those who eat bacon with their hands while smoking!) etc. Do the coloring.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, almost forget, I have a Nording signature freehand. It has a touch or two of dark stain on it but was mostly unfinished, and really colored up nicely. It has those nifty grooves to hang onto, and the signature in gold still shows.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
show pretty clearly that nothing gets through from the chamber to the outer surface.
I was reading in another thread re: Dr Grabows that had some rough lacquer jobs (including in at least one case bubbling up lacquer on the outside of the bowl) that sanding them down and waxing them made a bi difference in performance.
Now, I'm not saying that any stain gets from the inside out here, but I'm wondering if the heat dissipation is greater when left unfinished, and therefore makes these better performers? Anyone have an opinion on this based on use?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
So they darken like a meer does somewhat?

Yes, and I treat mine like I would a meer and never touch the hot wood because the oils and dirt even with clean hand will rub off and give the pipe an uneven grubby look.

Here are some Castello Natural Vergin's and a Dunhill XL Tanshell Billiard in various stages of color. The Tanshell comes waxed and the Castello's NV's are raw wood most of the time. 8O
img_1610.jpg

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Trevor Talbert Ligne Bretagne Yule 2017. It's unfinished in the sense that it has no wax or stain, but the stummel has also been bleached.
IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Wow! I bet you could write a whole winter sci/fi fantasy novel over that pipe. :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.