PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend that you stay away from orange tabbys. Can't say that I right about this, but I've never met one that didn't have a nasty streak.
I'd leap to the defense of orange tabbies, but in all honesty, I've just finished a course of antibiotics for a painful bite on my thumb... Our youngest guy (an orange tabby) does NOT like to be put in the box, and we didn't have a proper grip on him last time we took him to the vet.
Our other two are sweeties, however. :D
And when I say other two, I mean our other two orange tabbies - we've got 7 total. 3 orange tabbies, 2 brown tabbies, a smoke tortoiseshell, and a calico. Been meaning to update their portraits, so I'll post them later.
For those of us, like me, who are clueless about cats, but like them, how do you pick a good cat?
There's not quite as much breed-specific personality among cats as there is among dogs, so it really comes down to the specific cat (though there are some general truths - Persians tend to be less active, Abyssinians just the oppposite, and we're finding that calicos tend to be a little wild, but in a good way...). If you're adopting a shelter cat, take the time to handle it and see how it reacts, especially if you've got your heart set on particular behaviors (like lap cats - some of ours are cuddly, others way more aloof).
And how do you set up the litter box thing so that your house does not smell like cat pee?
Rule of thumb is a box for the first two cats, then n-1 (where n is the number of cats total) from there. You also need to develop good litter box cleaning habits - like, daily. Using a good quality litter helps with the smell, as well, and if you've got a remote (but accessible) location such as a basement, laundry room, or secondary bathroom, start with the first box there. We've had really good luck with the wheat-based clumping litter, but it's fairly dusty (not quite as bad as clay litter). There's a new walnut-based clumping litter that's performing well in our most-used box - we're about to switch out another one next weekend.
I may be a pipe n00b, but I've been married to a crazy cat lady for 22 years... :puffpipe:

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I looked through this whole thread hoping for a dirty picture.... I was let down. I underestimated your combined sensibilities and wholesome good natured-ness. My apologies kind Sirs.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
No pictures but I once owned an orange tabby named Kitty Rodriguez. She ate scorpions in my San Antonio abode. She had the nature of a dog, and I have despised all cats but her. Unfortunately, I had to give her away to a "fine" young lady when I departed the country for an adventure. I hope she still protects the unsuspecting toes of her owner by feasting on the little hiding in boot monsters as she once did for me.
Kitty R. was my companion and I would gladly have her back if it weren't for her unwillingness to discontinue the attack of my moving feet under the covers during the midnight hour. Nevertheless she was a stalwart of justice in the desert. I applaud her achievements and wish her well.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I hesitate to look at this thread. I thought it was a bit of a kinky title.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Elizabeth Regina - the sweetest-natured cat I ever knew.
8275990663_12a69feae8.jpg

Jack Dempsey - he's a dude.
8275990833_082a1aec32_z.jpg

St. John - now four months old, named for Thomas St. John Pattle.
8277051020_bc560dee82.jpg

These are our current babies, but we've had some good ones over the years. What a great thread, some great cats on show!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Demitri...the wild child. But a very good cat.

Demitri_zps1a696f16.png

Bailey...most loving cat I've ever known(he'll can still hurt you if you test him.)He is my loyal(18 lb.) buddy, but he loves his Momma(the wife).
bailey_zps08abeccc.png

I like dogs, but cats are more like me. Social, but independent.
-Jason

joshwolftree

As a note an open container of pipe cleaners, in the eyes of a cat, means they have an awesome owner who gets them the bestest toys ever. They will attempt to repay this kindness by hiding said piping cleaners in a game my cats like to call "Leave surprises for daddy to find"
Also filters omg paper filters from MM's are worth trash dives if they see em

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Man, I really miss having a cat around! They are just very fun to have. But the pet deposit in our current apt is $750! Non refundable! Ahh! How many of you guys with cats rent? And is there a crazy pet fee?
I completely understand a security deposit, so if when you leave and the place smells like piss they keep the $300 or whatever to clean or get new carpet.
But Ive noticed many places try and scalp you for having even a little pet like a cat. $750 extra for one year is just ridiculous, and other places Ive looked at charge a deposit PLUS a monthly fee! Maybe I just dont get it, as our house never smelled with pets in it, and I cant see a reason for so much extra charge.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So - this one's Dahlia, one of our brown tabbies. She was originally a long-term foster kitty, brought in feral at 4 months old. Normally, she'd have been spayed, had her ear tipped, and been re-relased, but the area where she was found wasn't really safe for a feral cat, so we took her on. She stays in her own room, mostly segregated from the other cats - and for about a year, we had her on kitty Prozac to calm her down. She's now pretty well-adjusted, and is starting to get along with a couple of the other cats, as long as they don't get too close.
DahliaSmall_zps297b1550.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Here's the other brown tabby, Neil - he was part of a litter of three that we fostered (we called them Neil, Alex, and Geddy...). Alex and Geddy got adopted, but due to some medical issues, we kinda bonded with Neil and kept him around. He can often be found curled up on my drum throne, oddly enough. :D
NeilSmall_zpsfec60b2c.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
My cat is an incredibly beautiful flame point Himalayan. Looks are only skin deep they say, and this little rascal would as soon cut you as look at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.