Show us the Pipe that Started Your Smoking Adventure!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My first pipe was a Savinelly Linea Pui 5 with a silver band. It was a great first pipe as it smoked cool and dry and showed me what a good pipe s supposed to smoke like. I bought a few lemons in the beginning but I knew they sucked because I had something to compare it to. Here is my first pipe.

bwfh

Lurker
Aug 12, 2022
Denver, CO
I got interested last year when visiting my dad (he's 91), he stopped smoking in 1970 but kept his pipes. He gave these two to me.
Top is the Kaywoodie Dublin, and below is a Linkman Hollycourt Relief Grain, 7413 - Dublin shape from circa 1937-40s.
Also marked as pre-smoked from their ‘invention’ REG US PAT. OFF Patent 2073663
Other side: 7424 IMPORTED BRUYÉRE
And that got me interested...

dads2pipes.jpg

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
My first, a Hardcastle bent billiard bought in Wales in 1972, didn't make it. My second, a straight Falcon with a blasted billiard bowl, I still have and smoke and was recommended by my Ulster grandfather. He was very practical even though he occasionally admonished me re what a "thinking man" ought to smoke!

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
This is my first pipe. An old, heavily used Dr. Grabow Riviera with a stinger filter and vulcanite stem. It had a cracked shank when I bought it, and I used to use tape and rubber bands to keep the shank tight enough to hold the stem. It was a long journey, the thing was clogged with a capital C, and because pipe smoking was such a back burner idea to me at the time, having never seen a person smoke one, I just bumbled my way around learning it on my own. I didn’t even clean it proper for around two years, but once I did it went from a thing I did every three months if it came up, into a pipe that I would smoke all the time. It eventually took so much of a beating that I tried supergluing it sealed, but the heat made the glue melt, and I figured it wasn’t a good idea to huff superglue fumes along with my Prince Albert. This pipe, without a doubt, is my favorite pipe, and I can’t smoke it. Small bowl, long, light, excellent, and smokes PA better than any pipe I’ve ever tried. I am always looking for another of its shape, but I’ve never found one that matches its exact size.
image.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My first pipe, which I still own, is a Tinder Box “board” pipe (think: basket pipe), which I purchased in 1979 for $8. She has colored beautifully and continues to give excellent smokes.

BTW, don’t read the notes in the photograph too closely; I was a very new pipesmoker when I made these tasting notes, and let’s just say I didn’t always know what I was talking about! But I *was* able to try a lot of blends that are no longer with us…even if I didn’t always understand them.

Attachments

• 9B641DF2-DCD3-4B95-9C92-5D3A04DEAC8A.jpeg
    9B641DF2-DCD3-4B95-9C92-5D3A04DEAC8A.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 8