PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@paulie66scandinavian they’re a mixed bag, honestly. The 6 is fairly riddled with flaws (finish is a bit wonky, drilling is off, stem fits super tight). But, I’ve found a couple blends that it smokes perfectly now, so it’s very usable. Used to smoke wet, but now it’s great. The 120 has no cosmetic or construction flaws, but it smokes hot and wet. The 120 was a heavily abused estate, the 6 I bought new. Visually, I think they’re among the most beautiful pipes I’ve ever seen. And they’re definitely smokeable, but... quirky.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
It says 'made in Dublin' and on the other side, '950'. I like this pipe. It is so old no matter which tobacco I use, it all just sort of tastes like the pipe. Its like it has made up its mind and doesn't want to change.

peterson-600x448.jpg
The first time I smoked that plug, I smoked for 45 mins and got such a nic hit that I puked lol. Nic tolerance has elevated since then

Reactions: seanv

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@paulie66scandinavian glad to hear yours smokes well! I still love this line of pipes, I’d probably give another one a try someday. The grain, silver bands, and stem color are stunning to me. Also, I’ve been using the 120 for VaPer’s. Maybe I’d have better luck trying a cooler, drier smoking tobacco? Not sure, but maybe worth a shot. Both 120’s are my least favorite pipes to smoke, at the moment.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@paulie66scandinavian glad to hear yours smokes well! I still love this line of pipes, I’d probably give another one a try someday. The grain, silver bands, and stem color are stunning to me. Also, I’ve been using the 120 for VaPer’s. Maybe I’d have better luck trying a cooler, drier smoking tobacco? Not sure, but maybe worth a shot. Both 120’s are my least favorite pipes to smoke, at the moment.
Can't deny, as for the undersigned, lately, I'm becoming more and more old school purist'' in my pipe preferances,that may explain with a fact I'm getting on in age (52)but yes, I'd suggest you to try any burley forward blend for those Rosslares,and preferably in well dried condition

Reactions: seanv and mtwaller

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don’t think I can fit them in a pic :(
I believe I have 75 but lost count.
I’ve really been enjoying this Mark Twain!

Attachments

• 06594930-1217-40A9-A62D-BDC4B3B1A654.jpeg
    06594930-1217-40A9-A62D-BDC4B3B1A654.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: mtwaller

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@Mr.Mike thank you! I got the underlying shelf unit from Goodwill for around $15, and the stands are the ultra cheapo basic folding stands that go for around $1 a piece. I chose those stands simply because they are modular, and can be placed at an angle atop the wooden piece, which has no space for a proper pipe rack. Necessity dictated the setup, but overall I do enjoy the pipes resting at such a jaunty angle. A little thrift and creativity can work wonders!

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
@Mr.Mike thank you! I got the underlying shelf unit from Goodwill for around $15, and the stands are the ultra cheapo basic folding stands that go for around $1 a piece. I chose those stands simply because they are modular, and can be placed at an angle atop the wooden piece, which has no space for a proper pipe rack. Necessity dictated the setup, but overall I do enjoy the pipes resting at such a jaunty angle. A little thrift and creativity can work wonders!
I considered getting those cheapo stands because I smoke mostly bents and most pipe stands are sometimes not friendly to bents. Good to see that it looks great that way! I will definitely be displaying my pipes that way soon

Reactions: BROBS

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@Mr.Mike go for it! My only word of caution: make sure the pipes are resting on a well-protected, or wide and flat surface. These stands are very light. I have my most expensive pipes resting up on the edge of this unit, basically on the edge of a precipice. Which makes no sense, I know. And the stands are want to move/fall if placed precariously. As long as you have a sufficiently large surface to place them upon, they should serve just fine.

Reactions: BROBS and Mr.Mike

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Some fine pipes there BROBS & bullet08. I have a fondness for Peterson John Bulls and am lucky to have 1, a Dublin & London. The POTY is a very attractive John Bull.

Reactions: BROBS