PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jack.Grave

Lurker
Mar 7, 2020
Prague, Czech Republic
Here is my collection of Orlik of Bond Street pipes. Almost all of them came from South America (Paraquay) via e-bay, around 2009, cause someone sold some stock from long gone tobacconist. Almost all of them came as NOS with box, sox and appropriate paperwork. All Orlik Corona pipes and Orlik De Luxe came from above mentione South American stash, also all of them are fitted with Dunhill style inner tube. Aproximate date of manufacture late 50's/early 60's.
Orlik KOZY KN 56 date of manufacture unknown to me, also I am quite unsure if it have original stem cause its missing brass (?) "O" mark. Its awaiting restoration. Jack
IMG_20220201_1223222331.jpgIMG_20220201_124053397_HDR.jpgIMG_20220201_1227547201.jpgIMG_20220201_1230496701.jpgIMG_20220201_123430595_HDR1.jpgIMG_20220201_125121943_HDR1.jpgIMG_20220201_124423892_HDR1.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Lovey collection bro. Word on the street is that the COM changed from London Made to Made in England in 1974. As for the Kozy, I’m not sure when made in London was used as a stamp as that’s the first I’ve seen like that

Jack.Grave

Lurker
Mar 7, 2020
Prague, Czech Republic
@Ahi Ka Thanks a million for clarification. That Orlik KOZY KN 56 baffles me a quite lot. Because it have fairly good grain let say very good flame grain almost straight grain. No visible blemishes and it weights around 21 grams (3/4 oz.). I have found shape No. 56 in Yuri Novikov Orlik Catalogue but not in 3/4 Oz. Range.

Here is detail of Orlik KOZY stamping (I am sorry my mobile phone can not produce better photo). And nomeclature is very much faded off. Jack20221012_195256.jpg

Howdy All,

Can any of you Orlik guys tell me about this Orlik? I read the "Orlik Pipes 1950s-1970s" article but, could not find the "G" stamp code. Perhaps it stands for giant. She is a big girl. She looks like something created by a MineCraft game lover, big and blocky. The "GX2" could be cut off by poor stamp placement at the factory. You can see the stampings from the phots, excuse the stained cloth background. It does a nice job protecting the bench surface.

Any info would be great,
John
From SE Nebraska
Chonky Orlik stamp small.JPGChonky Orlik stem small.JPG

Chonky Orlik small.JPG

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Howdy All,

Can any of you Orlik guys tell me about this Orlik? I read the "Orlik Pipes 1950s-1970s" article but, could not find the "G" stamp code. Perhaps it stands for giant. She is a big girl. She looks like something created by a MineCraft game lover, big and blocky. The "GX2" could be cut off by poor stamp placement at the factory. You can see the stampings from the phots, excuse the stained cloth background. It does a nice job protecting the bench surface.

Any info would be great,
John
From SE Nebraska
View attachment 183075View attachment 183076

View attachment 183074
A straight Made in England COM instead of London made is generally accepted as 1974-1980.

Reactions: OzPiper

rEinSTATEd

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Hello Orlik lovers,
Has anybody ever come across this 'stamping' on an Orlik pipe? The pipes concerned are a Cutty and a bent Dublin with oval shaft. They have no country/city of manufacture, no model number or name. Just these two words -ORLIK SPECIAL. I will reveal more once the research ends and the restoration begins.

Attachments

• os8.JPG
    os8.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 6

rEinSTATEd

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
The search continues. I had a brief reply from Simon Orlik, ex manager of L.Orlik ltd in the 1970's. He confirmed that Orlik did make a range of pipes called SPECIAL's up until 1950 and enclosed a low resolution copy of a page from a pre 1950 catalogue showing 3 different shapes of pipes (not mine unfortunately). The other striking feature is that they all have Silver bands on the shank - mine do not, nor do they show any sign of where a band may have been in the past. I am now waiting to hear from The National Pipe Archive who have all of the rest of mr. Orlik's memorabilia. In the meantime if anybody does have an Orlik Special, please share.

Attachments

• oc00.jpg
    oc00.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 11
  • OR1.jpg
    OR1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 11

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Here is a (bad) photo of the stamping on my two Orlik specials. They are both pre-1920. Notice that the Orlik stamp is in a fancy serif font - all of my older ones have that style of nomenclature (if any at all).

33F92000-1CF7-49E2-A105-9298BC76B715.jpeg

I have some Orlik pipes from the 1930s-c1950, which have the block stamping of the brand, and do not have a COM. These, with the exception of one strange one, do not have the O logo on the stem. I would assume your pipes fall into this era.

I have seen specials with a London made COMs (check out current smokingpipes listing for and example), and with both the London made and made in England COMs similar to how some more economy lines were stamped - captain black/prince regent etc. There is an example here of this. Of interest (to me at least) is that this special has the L series code, which is used for the deluxe line.

Bewlay also had its own special series.

Nice pipes 🤙🏼

rEinSTATEd

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Ahi Ka, thanks for that. Unfortunately both pipes were bought as 'bowls only' with broken tenons still jammed in the shank - I'm a glutton for punishment, these were just 2 of a collection of 15!. I am still hoping to find an original catalogue image (or the real thing) so that I can make new stems as close to original as possible. A Cutty and a bent Dublin I'm looking for.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ahi Ka, thanks for that. Unfortunately both pipes were bought as 'bowls only' with broken tenons still jammed in the shank - I'm a glutton for punishment, these were just 2 of a collection of 15!. I am still hoping to find an original catalogue image (or the real thing) so that I can make new stems as close to original as possible. A Cutty and a bent Dublin I'm looking for.
I’m assuming you have seen this pipe shapes chart from the bond street era? A bit later than when your pipes were made, but the shapes wouldn’t have changed

Can I see a photo which shows the entire stummel of your pipes?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The search continues. I had a brief reply from Simon Orlik, ex manager of L.Orlik ltd in the 1970's. He confirmed that Orlik did make a range of pipes called SPECIAL's up until 1950 and enclosed a low resolution copy of a page from a pre 1950 catalogue showing 3 different shapes of pipes (not mine unfortunately). The other striking feature is that they all have Silver bands on the shank - mine do not, nor do they show any sign of where a band may have been in the past. I am now waiting to hear from The National Pipe Archive who have all of the rest of mr. Orlik's memorabilia. In the meantime if anybody does have an Orlik Special, please share.

From what I can tell the last mention of Orlik producing the Special was 1941; not to say it wasn't made later, I think it clearly was, but that it doesn't appear in surviving catalogs or price lists after that time. Certainly it doesn't appear in the 1950 catalog (which I have); by then the Z model designation had been reassigned to the Archway (which previously had been designated series 4141). The page you got from Simon is actually from the 1933 catalog. Here's the same page from my copy; note not only the series letter but the price to the trade:

Orlik Special 1933 catalog.png

Don't place too much reliance on the presence or absence of a silver band. For at least some of the years the Special was produced the model was available with and without the silver band; catalog illustrations make this clear. Such bands were more popular in the earlier part of the 20th century and I doubt much in demand by the latter thirties and beyond.

The significant thing about your pipe is the print lettering of Special; all catalog illustrations (and surviving pipes with legible hallmarks) through the end of the thirties show the model name in cursive. I believe for that reason alone your pipe is post war and dates to a late and undocumented period in the production of the model. Not that the block lettering is particularly rare; if you want to find a great number of Specials with and without cursive writing search Worthpoint. It's just a factor to consider in dating the pipe.

The lack of other nomenclature is odd; are you sure there's nothing even faintly visible elsewhere on the pipe? Orlik placed great value on the London Made aspect of its pipes and this figured prominently in the stamping. Even where one part of the pipe said Made in England another part would be stamped London Made. I've seen this on various Specials before; here's one example:

Orlik special london made.jpg

This of course changed when the plant moved to Shoeburyness in 1974 and the England part remained true but the London part did not. And in any case with nomenclature there are always exceptions; even with the best QC department where humans are involved there is always room for errors of omission or commission.

rEinSTATEd

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Hello jguss, thank you for joining in and supplying more info. I went over both pipes with a jewellers loupe looking for any traces of worn stamps, but found absolutely nothing.
Do any of your catalogues show either of these pipe shapes? I have found Cutties in many other makers ranges but not anything Orlik that I have been able to access. The same goes for the bent Dublin (if that is the correct name for the other pipe). The quality is not brilliant, but here are the other sides.

Attachments

• oc2.JPG
    oc2.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 5
  • os2.JPG
    os2.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 5

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Hello jguss, thank you for joining in and supplying more info. I went over both pipes with a jewellers loupe looking for any traces of worn stamps, but found absolutely nothing.
Do any of your catalogues show either of these pipe shapes? I have found Cutties in many other makers ranges but not anything Orlik that I have been able to access. The same goes for the bent Dublin (if that is the correct name for the other pipe). The quality is not brilliant, but here are the other sides.
The bent looks rather similar to this Orlik shape 166 (this one is from the late 70s)

D8FBE8F0-7256-4C6E-9DCF-6C51BBB945CB.jpeg