PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
My tobacconist and home away from home buys Lots of Estate pipes and they send them to a local pipe maker for restoration and cleaning.

And when they get in a batch in the

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Here is the dragon claw meerschaum with a lattice egg I referenced earlier. The inside of the egg is meerschaum (based on the wet finger test). I'm doubtful the outside is meerschaum.

For $20, I'm not complaining. I just wanted a test subject before getting a nicer one. While I still haven't tested it, I picked up an antique cutty that I may post about later.

20230101_151702.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Looks like one piece.
The claw is a tinted yellow (from age) while the egg is still white. There are also two "screw" indentations where the feathers or fur meet the claw.

It seems like two different materials, but I do hope you're correct. And if so, it's an amazing deal for the price.

I'll know more when I start smoking it. The weather has kept me inside and I failed to take advantage of the warmer weather this weekend.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
If an estate piece, the yellow could be from a prior owner just handling it.
It's an estate pipe that was never smoked. Handling, age, or tobacco resin may have discolored it (which I'm fine with).

Thank you for the different perspective on it being one piece and the maker's marks. The seller didn't remember who made it, but thought it could've been CAO. I'm doubtful of CAO and haven't been able to find another pipe with similar indentations.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's an estate pipe that was never smoked. Handling, age, or tobacco resin may have discolored it (which I'm fine with).

Thank you for the different perspective on it being one piece and the maker's marks. The seller didn't remember who made it, but thought it could've been CAO. I'm doubtful of CAO and haven't been able to find another pipe with similar indentations.
My big claw is coloring like that and it's been handled more than smoked.

Reactions: Smoke Wagon

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Got this SMS as a gift from a neighbor last year. It belonged to his dad, long since deceased. Needed a fair bit of cleaning, and a new tenon/mortise delrin set, but now it smokes good as new. I don't use it much, although I do like to have a couple pipes like this with chambers on the small side.

View attachment 196298

View attachment 196299
I like this one too. Nice and simple. That's one I'd smoke!

nelamvr6

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2023
Altinok claw

dITEhnI.jpg