mantra1

Lurker
May 20, 2014
image.jpg

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
A friend and I were smoking pipes and enjoying homebrew this past Monday evening and got to talking about pipes, of course. We are both quite new to the hobby, but I had read about J.M. Boswell and how highly his pipes are regarded. I had looked at the Boswell Pipes site the previous Monday and really like a poker that was listed for sale, but decided that there was no way I could justify the cost right now as a newbie. I resolved to add a Boswell pipe to the wish list as it seemed proper to have one of his pipes some day. Fast forward a week, add too much beer and the topic of conversation... I mentioned Boswell to my buddy and I decided to pop open the web site to show him the new pipes for the week. While scrolling through the page I saw this Boswell Pipe FLUTED SCOOP 2019 and was entranced. What is it about wood grain and curvy things that causes so much excitement?!
FLUTED-SCOOP-2019-11.jpg

This was definitely a splurge and I actually got the okay from my wonderful wife before quickly placing the order. The evening of drinking and talking went on and I went to bed. I immediately woke up the next morning wondering what I had done the night before. I knew that this was the end of buying pipes and tobacco for 2019, but decided that that's okay since I ended up with a really cool Boswell pipe. The pipe just arrived today and it's awesome! The wood grain, color, shape, feel, bit design - everything - are all impressive. The packaging was also nice and the starter accessories are a nice little touch. I really like the other three pipes in my collection, but this one stands out a bit more. The first smoke was going to be with the tobacco they sent with the pipe, but it's the Boswell's Cherry Smash and I was planning this to be VaPer pipe. Maybe it will get christened with some Russ Ouellette Firestorm instead!

The page for this particular pipe appears to be gone from the Boswell web site now, so here are the description details from it for anybody interested:
  • Absolutely Gorgeous!
  • Sculptured Fluted Scoop Freehand with stunning array of straight and flame grain surrounding this thick bowl.
  • Dazzling Birds-eye grain covers the wide rounded bottom.
  • Design with the added practicality of a sitter.
  • A classy smoker for any occasion.
  • A beautiful natural glossy finish.
  • Our smoking properties of a Boswell pipe, are the thick bowl walls to give you that cool enjoyable smoke.
  • Hand-cut acrylic saddle-bit mouthpiece with marbleized olive green/cream tones.
  • Using a high power magnifier there maybe a few natural imperfections.
  • Your new Boswell pipe will come nestled in a protective handmade pipe sleeve and placed in a Boswell gift box. We also include all the essentials for your first smoke.
  • Smoking becomes a relaxing time with a Boswell...
  • Weight: 2.35 oz. / 66 grams
  • Bowl Height: shy of 1-7/8"
  • Tobacco Chamber Diameter: 7/8"
  • Length: 5-7/8"
  • Mouthpiece: Acrylic
  • J.M. Boswell hand inscribes his signature into the briar and proudly declares handmade in the USA

BigIrish1

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
DE5F89A6-15A8-4CB5-9637-F027CF4DE1AF.jpegD50B3635-1EDC-42BD-A927-4EFEE31D63AF.jpeg
Just commissioned this one! Been looking for a pipe I can take out fishing. Rachel at Boswell’s was easy to work with and got the job done quickly. I’ve got several Boswell pipes and they all smoke great. Can’t wait to take this one out.

5” length
1-5/8” bowl height
3/4” bowl chamber
2.2 oz weight

BigIrish1

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
Beautiful pipe!! It is hard to resist picking one up when I’m on their site. I usually get one every year when a buddy of mine and I head up for CigarFest. I have 8 Boswell’s and one of their pipe racks with the horse hair. Love every one of my pipes, but I have to say the 3 Jumbos I have are my favorites.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Been resisting one of these for a while, but a new one popped up on his pipe drop today for so cheap I broke down. Another Boswell for the collection, a Black Coal Fishing Vest Pipe with Shot Shell Shank Accent and Built in Lanyard, as well as a wind cap. This one will get some use on the river this year.

E9A33365-968E-4D70-8608-0A7750EB140F.jpeg
0FE1C68C-EFFA-40BB-8671-0CD50717F396.jpeg