Show Off Your Foursquare / Panel Billiard Pipes!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Really well executed foursquares are rare because of the intrinsic difficulty of making such a shape by subtraction (i.e. adding material isn't possible, only removal.)

Which is why I've always liked 'em. :)

The first true high grade I ever bought was a Savinelli 515KS Giubileo D'Oro, in fact. (40 years ago Sav was an entirely different operation, and Golden Jubilees were very special)

If you're a hardcore foursquare lover, here's a deep dive video series that shows what was necessary to make a wonky early production Ashton Sovereign right.

Lots of close-up shots, background info, and so forth:

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Really well executed foursquares are rare because of the intrinsic difficulty of making such a shape by subtraction (i.e. adding material isn't possible, only removal.)

The first true high grade I ever bought was a Savinelli 515KS Giubileo D'Oro, in fact. (40 years ago Sav was an entirely different operation, and Golden Jubilees were very special)

If you're a hardcore foursquare lover, here's a deep dive video series that shows what was necessary to make a wonky early production Ashton Sovereign right.

Thank you for this! Looking forward to watching through all of it.

Reactions: dunnyboy

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center

Well you had me grinning hard watching you line up the xy axis to be perpendicular with the draft hole. So obvious that you would use a rod that's the same size as the hole to make sure they're completely lined up but I wouldn't have thought of doing that.

Also, what was the purpose of the step cuts on the old English tenons?

Last edited:
Reactions: dunnyboy

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I forgot about my WDC Milanos from the 1920s. They are oriented with the corner to the shank, but they are still four squares.

WDC Milano smooth.
WDC Milano Tall Panel Inner Tube Restored 1.JPG

WDC Milano short smooth.
WDC Milano Hesson 1505 Pat'd Dec 22 1925 Restored 1.JPG

WDC Grained Briar. The vertical rustication makes it hard to see the panels, but it's identical in size and shape to the first pipe.
WDC Grained Briar Hesson 05 Panel Billiard 1.JPG

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
20230811_102949.jpg

Yeah.... these take about two days, any slip of any tool and you just get to start over. I doubt I'll ever do it again, it's.... just not fun at all. Every angled edge, every little pocket has to be sanded just so AND you can't adjust the shape in doing so.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah.... these take about two days, any slip of any tool and you just get to start over. I doubt I'll ever do it again, it's.... just not fun at all. Every angled edge, every little pocket has to be sanded just so AND you can't adjust the shape in doing so.

Exactly so.

I saw the Squatcher curl into a wimpering ball of fur on the floor a few years ago at the Chicago Show when someone showed him the following pipe in the flesh.

(It's hard to watch 900 pound creatures who eat feral hogs like sausages---he just pops 'em in his mouth---have such a reaction to anything, but there you go. Four panel-ers are dangerous... six panel-ers are deadly.)

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
But, but, that’s a Bing Holiday Inn pipe!😳
Yeah, and I can see if you made these with a sort of "eh that's good enough" approach, you could develop a method to make them reasonably fast (obviously certain pipe companies can do), but if you want to make them genuinely good, it's... a very expensive proposition. And maybe I'm just dumb and should make these and charge 850 and shrug my shoulders, but I'd much rather make a billiard and a Canadian and charge 350 each.