PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Recently acquired this pezzo unico Castello great line fiammata from SP Estates. (A few days prior to the IPSD sale unfortunately.) If this great-smoking pipe belonged to a member of this forum: thanks! It is in mint condition and, despite being a large pipe, very comfortable to clench.
View attachment 289472View attachment 289473
I also forget about the IPSD sales around this time of year but the pipes I buy aren’t anywhere near what I imagine this cost 😅 Still, you can’t be too sad owning a pipe like this, regardless of what you paid.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Recently acquired this pezzo unico Castello great line fiammata from SP Estates. (A few days prior to the IPSD sale unfortunately.) If this great-smoking pipe belonged to a member of this forum: thanks! It is in mint condition and, despite being a large pipe, very comfortable to clench.
View attachment 289472View attachment 289473
Beautiful pipe, incredible grain. And in like new condition! What I want to know is, why dunnyboy? Seems like your handle should be castelloguy or something like that as you have an enviable Castello collection.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Beautiful pipe, incredible grain. And in like new condition! What I want to know is, why dunnyboy? Seems like your handle should be castelloguy or something like that as you have an enviable Castello collection.
Your observation is entirely correct. When I signed up to the forum I was a Dunhill fan. Since then, I've sold all my Dunhills but one and acquired mostly Castellos and artisan carvers. It's a little like still using a nickname you were given as a child—like Stinky—when you're in your seventies. BTW, I miss the photos of you smoking cigars on a golf cart!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Your observation is entirely correct. When I signed up to the forum I was a Dunhill fan. Since then, I've sold all my Dunhills but one and acquired mostly Castellos and artisan carvers. It's a little like still using a nickname you were given as a child—like Stinky—when you're in your seventies. BTW, I miss the photos of you smoking cigars on a golf cart!
I have posted a few while playing. I've been playing reasonably well lately and more focused on birdie/par than on taking photos. LOL I do smoke at least 2 cigars per round though. I'm not sure all the guys in the group I play in appreciate my cigar smoke. However, I am certain I don't give a shit.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I was reading this Castello thread and the classic story above deserved a bump! As I posted a few weeks ago, my wife brought me home a Castello Ancoretta from Marco at Novelli’s in Rome. I can’t wait to visit the shop myself.
To follow up on this Ancoretta series, I’ve posted a photo of 5 below. Note the Castello “bar” vs the black “dot” on the white stem. The Castello Ancoretta series is a numbered collection Castello produced in 2023 in a limited edition of 120 pieces. The large treble hook silver embellishment is dedicated to deep-sea fishermen.

As you can see, the sole white stem (#24/120) also has a black dot, not a typical “bar.“ Also, the two Old Antiquarian black rusticated bowls at the top (#66 and #77) are slighty different— #66 does not have bar on its black stem, either, but rather has the old diamond rosette on the side of the shank. I selected #77, the top pipe, which has the normal white bar, as my smoker of this group, and filed and polished the button to clench comfortably, even if it does weigh 68 grams.

The other two Ancoretta pipes are #43 (bottom, orange rusticated) and #30 (center, smooth.)

Attachments

• IMG_4164.jpeg
    IMG_4164.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: