PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I reload anyway, so none of that is an issue. I was looking at Dan Wesson. I have a DW .45 commander and it is dead-nuts accurate with an excellent trigger. They have gone sky high in price since I picked that one up though. Almost up there with Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, etc. ?
I had a Dan Wesson revolver in .357 with a HUUUUGE barrel. Traded it a while back because it was pretty impractical.. but the trigger was amazing, I remember that.

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
I’d like to upgrade the sights because the GI sights are garbage.. trigger not bad but I’d like to work this one over too. Very reliable though, no failures. Had to replace (well in my mind) the mainspring housing as the factory colt are plastic which is cheesy. Ammo is very expensive is one down side. It’s not a gun you shoot all the time. If you want one to shoot a lot more for less $$ get a 9. But get a good one IMO. Also I’ve heard 9mm 1911s can be a bit more finicky.

lots of guys get 38 super but I know nothing about them. You’d probably have to reload

I’d really like to get a Les Baer someday.
It never fails to amaze me that Colt puts GI sights on most of their models. Tried and true perhaps, but with all the vastly better sights available to utilize, it makes no sense to me. My Gold Cup has great adjustable sights.....but they're solid black....some contrast would be nice after dropping that much $.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It never fails to amaze me that Colt puts GI sights on most of their models. Tried and true perhaps, but with all the vastly better sights available to utilize, it makes no sense to me. My Gold Cup has great adjustable sights.....but they're solid black....some contrast would be nice after dropping that much $.
I see the Gold Cup as an old school Bullseye gun, and black sights are pretty traditional for target pistols. Competition shooters used to even sometimes put lampblack on them to blacken them further and reduce glare. But, yeah, it’s not the 70’s anymore, and there are other options now.
The G.I. style sights I don’t get either. I guess they figure the customer will swap them with whatever they want, maybe? ?‍♂️
I can’t figure out why Glock insists on using plastic sights, either, unless for the same reason.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Folks, tell me what I don't know about this Walther Model 9 pistol. It belonged to my wife's grandfather, when he was the town cop in Paw-Paw WV. This would have been in the mid 1920's. We found it emptying her fathers house. The serial number reflects that it would have been made between 1921 and 1924, in the first series of this gun. The grips were held together with electrical tape. It looks like someone does make replacement grips. The enamel grip medallions are degraded, but they appear very difficult to find. It dry fires, but the spring appears week. I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm sure it is too old for any kind of use.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Folks, tell me what I don't know about this Walther Model 9 pistol. It belonged to my wife's grandfather, when he was the town cop in Paw-Paw WV. This would have been in the mid 1920's. We found it emptying her fathers house. The serial number reflects that it would have been made between 1921 and 1924, in the first series of this gun. The grips were held together with electrical tape. It looks like someone does make replacement grips. The enamel grip medallions are degraded, but they appear very difficult to find. It dry fires, but the spring appears week. I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm sure it is too old for any kind of use.

I’d replace the springs and shoot it! The .32 is a pretty gentle cartridge shouldn’t hurt it IMO.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I don't know much about guns, but I've fired some pretty old ones so it's not definitely a lost cause. Then again those usually have generations of maintenance work done on them.