PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that you're kidding, maybe a personal joke with Brian or something? But, what I like about Brian's show... and, Newcombe's Books... and Hanna's books, is that they give you their opinion and then let you know that to disagree with them is OK. In fact, there are no rules to any of this. And, all three tend to reiterate this.
Eh, maybe I'm partial to Brian's radio work, because we share the same musical choices. But, I look forward to every new episode.
In fact, I find it hard to believe someone would even use this forum without being a fan. Didn't we all come here because of the show?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sometimes one must gently blow into the stem to remove the steam from the heel of the pipe and get the fire burning. Now if you start doing a Hopi Indian dance and slapping your shirt you blew too hard .Please don't dry out your tobacco you will only lose flavor , heat up your pipes and shorten your smokes . I have to side with Bigvan on this one .

I vehemently disagree. I get way more flavor out of some tobaccos when I dry them to crunchy. Not all tobacco is this way, but most flakes that I've experienced. This is not just a Brian Levine thing. Rick Newcombe mentions it, as well as Fred Hanna, all people who have contributed greatly to the hobby. However, as they would suggest, this is just opinions. But, to make a blanket statement that "no tobaccos" are good dry falls into dogma, and should warrant a good thrashing I don't think that there is room for dogma in the pipe hobby :wink: ...and that is opinion as well.

ragnar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
I read this as a primer to pipe smoking and thoroughly enjoyed it! I did not write it nor can I take credit for it any way but I definately enjoyed the topics covered and appreciate the time it took the writer to compile this information.
SKOL.
https://app.box.com/s/oulxnfvdud1rhni4tjqq

ragnar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
Oh, and also, I highly reccomend clicking the download button and viewing it in Adobe Acrobat as the pictures and colors dont work on the embeded in browser version.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I am often saddened by people who name drop to substantiate views as they often have none of their own .As for having me thrashed what gives you the power or the right to do so being a man without your own opinions and undesirable moral tendencies .Real men agree to disagree ,weak ones resort to violence .Good Day

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
Thank you very much for posting that pipemans handbook that was very neat, I really hope to figure out the flake tobaccos but they seem to give me the most problems to keep lit, do you guys like for the flakes to be dry enough that they break when you fold them? About the show Brian talks about how they like to see new and younger smokers in the hobby, I really think we could benefit from beginner shows. The up and coming pipe makers and experienced pipe makers he interviews are good but an interview on how an experienced pipe smoker smokes and how long it took them to start getting it would be interesting to old and new smokers

@igloo,

whoa, whoa, whoa, You obviously have missed all of the meaning in my post. I was not using the names as dogma, but was using the names for the exact opposite, by showing that there was no one correct way of doing something. And, by mentioning thrashing with an obvious wink shows that it is a joke. Maybe you should try reading for substance, brother.
I'm sorry you misunderstood me, brother. :puffy:

ragnar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
@donatello: I found this info that was linked from the pipeman's handbook that has helped me enjoy flake tobacco. I used to rub it out like a heathen, I now appreciate the work and history behind flake tobaccos!
SKOL.
http://mac-baren.com/how-to-fill-a-pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.