Should I Pull the Plug on this Andreas Bauer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Ridiculous. Regarding that metal two-piece connector - it doesn't look right, it doesn't look good, and it doesn't look like a design that a renowned pipe-maker would do intentionally. I also don't like the way the stummel fits in the case - too much room at the back and the angle of the back of the stummel doesn't match the front. And the chamber walls look too thin.

But at least three real bidders were willing to pay as if it was all original work.

I don't get it.

AB Meer on Ebay

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Proper AB stummel fit and chamber thickness:

estate-pipe-meerschaum-andreas-bauer-.jpg

10309.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Looking at the pipe, the thing that stands out to me is the metal band. I'm guessing it is a repaired pipe with a new replacement stem. If it was the original pipe then the asking price would be in the ballpark, but since it looks to be repaired it's hard to say. Depends on how well the repair was done. If you're really interested, then inquire with the seller if they know if the pipe was repaired and ask for additional pictures.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
"Pull the plug" is a euphemism for putting an end to something unpleasant or otherwise doomed. Hopefully you meant "pull the trigger", which still has morbid roots but usually in more of a positive direction!
I think a safe middle ground would be, "pull the finger."

b&b.jpg

Of course, "safe" then becomes a relative term... :eek: