PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
jpmcwjr,
I understand the benefits, but I don't have the ability to post pictures, a bit handicapped that way. This is the only website/forum I've joined that doesn't have the ability to post pictures directly to the forum (without having to go through some 3rd party website).
As for the finish, just as dull as possible. If you look at the pipe artisan's website maddis.com gallery the black bulldog with a diamond shank in the 2nd row far left is a good example (I have that pipe).
respectfully,
Todd

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
This is the only website/forum I've joined that doesn't have the ability to post pictures directly to the forum
You have an album on this forum that you can upload pics to and then post them in a thread. At the top of the page, Notifications will take you there.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
I haven't been too successful in making shiny to dull. Then while enjoying a smoke I thought, you know, the inside of the bowl is just the color I want the outside of that pipe to be, hmmm...
After the bowl was finished I took the ash in hand and smeared it all about the shiny pipe and rubbed it in as best I could. Looks perfect! Now how to keep the smeared on ash from coming off? I think I'll repeat this several times, both enjoying a bowl or two and rubbing in the ash, yes it makes a mess. Hopefully I'll "embed" some of the ash onto the pipe's surface...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My Rossi when I got it, the finish was bubbling off from the lighter around the bowl. It eventually got caked over and I don't notice it much any more, but it would have been really easy to get it off with heat.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This picture kind of shows how the lighter took the " shiny" off.
20170310_233742.jpg

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I wonder what would happen if you dipped it in rubbing alcohol, lit it on fire and put it out real quick?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Model/Hobby shops sell something called Dulcoat. It comes in a small aerosol can and will do exactly what you want. I don't know how it will work as far as smoking the pipe but it will give you the finish you're looking for. If it doesn't work out you're only out a couple of bucks. I have used this a great deal on my model railway pieces with fantastic results for ageing/dulling things.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
davet, I went to my local hobby shop, got a can of Dullcote, just like you said.
Applied a a super light coat, and then aggressively rubbed in some more tobacco ash (hoping the Dullcote would act like a glue holding the ash to the bowl's surface), and then sprayed it with another light (not as light as the first) and set it aside.
It's perfect, exactly what I was after!
Waited 4+ hours, picked up the pipe rubbed it in my hands and no ash came off, whalla! Here's the picture...
http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/atjurhs/media/IMG_0799_zpsk1yl3yn5.jpg.html?o=0
btw, I have also uploaded the picture to My Album here, but I can't figure out how to attach it to my post

Status
Not open for further replies.