PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
For years I used Flitz (or its equivalent) squeeze bottle metal polish, complete with the tiresome exercise of masking the adjacent wood with electrical tape to guarantee the resulting Ugly Black Stuff On The Rag did not stain the wood.

I have both been sent and seen on Ebay any number of really nice pipes that had dark smudging---permanent dark smudging---next to the silver from people who either forgot to mask or weren't aware it was necessary. (One was an UNSMOKED brand-name cased companion set that was hundred years old... :cry: )

Anyway, somehow I learned of the "ash method" years ago and never looked back.

Zero cost, doesn't require masking, and is super-fast.

Just sift an ashtray's contents through one of those super-fine conical kitchen strainers and keep the harvested powder---it's like gray flour---in a shallow snap lid container.

To use, touch a folded paper towel or TP to your tongue---do NOT spit on it, a lick is enough---then gently touch the damp spot in the ash.

A few buff-twists is all it takes. Instant silver-white shine. Something I especially like is since it's not a liquid the tarnish "at the bottom" of any embossing/stamping stays dark. The resulting 3D effect adds interest and class to old silver, imo.

P1060115.jpg
P1060117.jpg
P1060119.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I tell people the ash cleaning trick on wood stoves and the glass in the doors. They sell all sorts of cleaners people buy and waste money on. They are amazed when I tell them a damp paper towel, blotted in the ash will make the glass look like new in a few seconds. Goes through soot like nothing and leaves no residue anywhere.

I imagine same the same functionality applies here with great looking results.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Do you happen to scientifically why this is possible 🤔

Not a clue.

There's a guy here who invented gold and silver, though (really, he's that old), who'll likely be along shortly to provide the chemistry-ish details. Cozmick something-or-other.

(He also runs moonshine so might be out doing the Robert Mitchum thing in his '49 Ford. In which case we probably won't hear anything until tomorrow.)

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I can’t stand any of the silver cleaning crap and I’m clumsy with cleaning the tiny areas and yes, I’ve suffered a couple times because I thought I could get by by just being extra careful. So the next time Peterson sends me a pre-tarnished pipe it will be wearing my ash for a scarf! Thanks.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I'm thinking the ash polishes well because of the potassium carbonate (potash). The only reason I know about it is because of learning about IED's and other boom stuff when I was in the Army. But, I don't know and didn't look it up. I'm just some dude spouting off on the internet...so, -1 for the research, and +1 for self awareness. Net 0 works for me.

When I was young a neighbor told my mom that dirt polished silver. So, I remember my mom trying it on a serving spoon. It worked. The spoon was a white and tarnish free. She was so excited. She took all of the silverware, servers, platters, teapot out to the flower bed and just rubbed it all down. So, she was excited, and wanted to show off, so she laid out a Julie Childlike spread of food that evening. Dad was all, “what the hell is this all abou? We don’t ever use this stuff.”

She told him, and he spit out the meat he was chewing. Eyes all laser focused, “you mean you rubbed all of the stuff we are eating with in the manure I worked into the flower bed?”

He went on to explain that the PH of the soil probably broke the ions of the reacted copper in the sterling alloy, it wasn’t a true polish. There were micro abrasions all over the surface from abrasives in the soil. This made it clean and white, but not truly polished to a luster. The texture of the surface was visible instead of a true glow that silver is known for.

I’m not sure exactly what type of ash this was that you used, George. I actually, wouldn’t know the differences between the ashes. But, your band is gorgeous. I kind of like a less reflective surface on some things. But, my guess is that what is happening is a PH thing, breaking the bond of those dark copper electrons, and you have a surface of fine silver left behind. Surface gilding. I do something similar before I apply enamels to sterling. I may try ash, and see if it works for enamels too.

I really like my Ruah too. Great pipe!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Now that you mention this, I recall my Grandma using joss-stick (incense) ash for polishing.
The ash was super fine.
It was always abundant as she was a devout Buddhist and lit joss-sticks 3 times a day.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I tell people the ash cleaning trick on wood stoves and the glass in the doors. They sell all sorts of cleaners people buy and waste money on. They are amazed when I tell them a damp paper towel, blotted in the ash will make the glass look like new in a few seconds. Goes through soot like nothing and leaves no residue anywhere.

I imagine same the same functionality applies here with great looking results.
I have a glass top stove and use a special cleaner I buy for that purpose. Maybe I'll try using ash. Super informative thread!

Reactions: fireground_piper
Mar 1, 2014
If you want to electrochemically reverse tarnish you touch the silver to a piece of aluminium while submersed in hot water (lightly salted), the only problem is if the tarnish is too thick you will get a lumpy finish because of too many atoms jumping around at once, also it's hard to apply this procedure to pipes because hot water will tend to soften your pipe stem and I can't imagine it's good for the wood finish either.