PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
The Sherlock Christmas special is coming!
Seemingly set in the 19th Century (and off-continuity from the show), "The Abominable Bride" looks awesome. And yes, Sherlock is seen smoking a couple of pipes. I think one is a squat bulldog (around 0:45) and a Liverpool (around 0:55).
Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk86jSLufLs

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Awesome! It's finally almost here! I just finished watching Mr Holmes (2015) with Ian McKellan. It somewhat satiated my Sherlock itch but this will do nicely.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Been looking forward to this. These two have some of the best onscreen chemistry of any Holmes pairing I've ever seen, save RDJ and Jude Law. Brett and Hardwicke do rather nicely in this regard as well.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
All the yes.
There was a time when I was moderately obsessed with all things Holmesian -- although never so deeply immersed, nor so expert as a good friend who used to routinely win trivia contests at Sherlock conventions.
I have to say that Cumberbatch's Holmes is my favorite screen Holmes ever. He captures the alien nature of the man, the distance he has from other humans, that gives him the perspective to see what others cannot. [Robert Downey Jr.'s super-hero version is fun -- but not as intellectually or emotionally satisfying.]
Seeing Cumberbatch as Holmes in Holmes' England -- that I will enjoy.

Jun 4, 2014
I watched the preview the other day, it looks very good. Now the only question is what Blend to smoke while I watch.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I have fond (albeit vague) memories of Brett's Holmes - I remember it being good, but not much else.
I also saw the play in which Charlton Heston plays Holmes - quite remarkable.
I have to agree with all of you - RDJ and Cumberbatch have completely owned and revitalized (in remarkably different ways) the character in recent portrayals. I don't hate "Elementary", but it did not capture my imagination.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
All I'm saying is if The Blue Carbuncle isn't incorporated in some form I will be extremely upset. How can one have a Christmas time Victorian Era Holmes and not include The Blue Carbuncle?

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I read that they really wanted to write an original story -- and "The Abominable Wife" came out of a reference to a case (in passing, never explained).
Still, The Blue Carbuncle would be awesome :D

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
That's cool.

I watched the 1939 version of Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles the other night on YouTube.
Mark

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I have fond (albeit vague) memories of Brett's Holmes - I remember it being good, but not much else.
See, and I do consider Brett to be the best Holmes we've ever seen. The reason I rated them third for the pair is because of Brett's two co-stars--David Burke fell into the old trap of playing Watson dumb, and Hardwicke--well, Hardwicke, as I said, did rather nicely. But he and Brett never achieve the kind of chemistry together that comes so naturally in the Guy Ritchie films (whatever else one might say about them).

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
One must wait & see Watson! One must wait & see. After the first cracking few episodes of sherlock I was a bit sad to see the actors/writers running away with themselves a little bit. Hopefully returning back to Victorian London should hold some hope for us true Conan Doyle fans. I consider myself a true 'sherlockian' (I'd read every novel by my twelfth year!) but only recently had the delightful pleasure of stumbling upon the old radio shows starring sir John Gielgud. If you haven't had the pleasure, shut yourself off in a room on your own, fill your pipe,close your eyes & listen to these wonderful broadcasts, freely available on the net.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
PBS will air it on January 1st and January 10th. on theaters one night only (5th? 6th? Don't remember.)

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
@elbert I remember Watson being the comic relief, yeah. In fact it was refreshing to see he's not an idiot in the current show.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
@elbert I remember Watson being the comic relief, yeah. In fact it was refreshing to see he's not an idiot in the current show.

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
I can not wait for this.

I have to say that Cumberbatch's Holmes is my favorite screen Holmes ever. He captures the alien nature of the man, the distance he has from other humans, that gives him the perspective to see what others cannot.
This played against Martin Freeman's very human Watson is just magic.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've always loathed Nigel Bruce and his portrayal of Dr. Watson being the bumbling idiot sidekick. That's absolutely NOT who the character that Doyle created was.
If you check YouTube or buy the complete collection of Granada Sherlock Holmes with Brett and Burke/Hardwicke Edward Hardwicke did an interview about the character. It turns out Hardwicke's father and Nigel Bruce were good friends when Nigel was playing Watson. Hardwicke goes on to say that at the time the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes movies were being made the world was at war and so society needed something to cheer them up. That's where Bruce's loveable bumbling portrayal of Watson came into play. It helped people forget about the war for a while and have a laugh.
Another interesting side note, David Burke left the Sherlock Holmes series to return to the stage and do live theater. It was he who suggested Edward Hardwicke as his successor to take over the role of Watson opposite the incomparable Jeremy Brett's definitive Holmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.