PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'm also big fan of the new Sherlock series. When I first heard about it, I thought it would be terrible. Then, I watched the first episode and was hooked.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The new Holmes seems as though he's watched a number of the Jeremy Brett Holmes' because he has very similar mannerisms and delivery of the lines.
I submit that Jeremy Brett, David Burke, and Eric Porter learned/emulated Arthur Wontner, and even the characters of Dr. John Watson (Ian Fleming Not of 007 fame.), and Professor James Moriarty (Lyn Harding) were nearly identical.
Here's a couple more movies with Arthur Wontner: (First class performances)

The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes

The Sign Of Four

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I'm partial to the BBC radio adaptations starring Clive Merrisson and Michael Williams.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
@ tom:
I have watched a few episodes but I've never seen him use a clay pipe as Holmes does in the book, does anyone know if Brett did?

in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th episodes of season 1 1984 he does.
@ Lawrence--thanks for those links! the 30's films were great, love seeing that black & white texture and the film techniques employed!
And @ everyone--thanks for leading me to the Jeremy Brett series--I had previously only thought of Basil Rathbone as the quintessential Holmes; now I see him brought truly to life in Brett's performances. You can actually see the gears burning brightly in his facial expressions. Absolutely captivating, and thankfully netflix has most of them on instant. I'm nearly through season 1 in the last couple days, enjoying a pipe throughout the viewing!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I have watched a few episodes but I've never seen him use a clay pipe as Holmes does in the book, does anyone know if Brett did?

Also at the end of season 1 episode 8-the copper beaches. a ratty old brown one, rank as a sailor's shoes :mrgreen:

hiker04

Lurker
May 23, 2011
I'm watching the series now and rather enjoying it. My gf wants me to dress up as Mr. Holmes for her Halloween party. Time to start saving for the calabash, from what I've heard. First up, though, is a church warden. Glad to know S.H. smoked those too.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Basil Rathbone made the calabash famous. He liked it because if was very light for it's size. In the books there is no mention of one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.