Sherlock Blend For New Sherlock Series Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Just got a new Pete Sherlock series in and in that same spirit I'm trying to think of a blend to dedicate to it. Anybody have any suggestions for a English that packs a big wallop worthy of Sir Arthur?

Reactions: vates

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Out on a limb here, C&D Montfort Point Marine...Dark Fired, Perique& Latakia. Very Stout and loaded with Nicotine.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Didn’t Sherlock Holmes dry out the dottle from previously smoked pipes and smoke them again?

You could try that to get the authentic Sherlock Holmes experience...

I must admit that the other suggestions above sound more appealing though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Stratfordshire, bulk, for full strength, and for a refined English, Nat Sherman 536.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Just got a new Pete Sherlock series in and in that same spirit I'm trying to think of a blend to dedicate to it. Anybody have any suggestions for a English that packs a big wallop worthy of Sir Arthur?

What shape did you get?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Didn’t Sherlock Holmes dry out the dottle from previously smoked pipes and smoke them again?

You could try that to get the authentic Sherlock Holmes experience...

I must admit that the other suggestions above sound more appealing though.

That's what AC Doyle wrote! And dried overnight on the mantle, IIRC.
I've always imagine Sherlock smoked a really grungy black rope, which made for really strong next day dottle smoking!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Anything strong.

If it must simply be English, any Gawith brown rope (Happy Bogie is my favorite). If it must be an strong English style blend, Dunhill Nightcap I suppose, although I didn't find that blend to be as strong as it's reputation would have had me believe.

Reactions: lightmybriar

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I am always impressed by the quality of the inexpensive John Bull Royal English Blend! If you are looking for a good english (not a bad one or a great one) this one is the blend for your pipe. I can see Holmes walking into "Bucking em" palace to meet with someone about a new case and he observes/inspects a jar full of this stuff on a desk and throws it in his pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.