PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I bought a tin of McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2016 about a year ago. I opened it and after my first bowl I put it away because of the over powering smell of ketchup and I ended up forgetting about it. I was organizing my tobacco cellar and I came across it. I am pleasantly surprised that the over powering smell of ketchup is pretty much gone. My question is, will it be safe to smoke after being open so long in the tin?

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I just smoked an open tin from 1960. I would imagine if it's not moldy it's fine. I have several tobaccos I purposely leave for a year (and a Christmas blend is one of them)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren nailed it, as he often does. Now I'd go ahead and jar (and label) the tobacco, to keep it well if not exactly fresh. As I've mentioned, I think dry tobacco does better than you'd think. It's not the way to get the optimal taste, but can last a long time. Now get it in a jar.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I am smoking a bit of it now and it is an exceptional smoke and I am beyond happy on how it turned out. Thanks for the advise and I will be jarring the rest of the tobacco.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's such a signature and unique to the brand. Interesting. I love 2015. Before even trying it I bought a couple pounds. I'm glad I did.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've had tobaccos left in tins and pouches for years and no harm was ever done. Stuff dried, but otherwise smelled good. The worst thing that I think can happen is for some of the essential oils and other flavorings either added or developed in the curing dry out or go away, but just a little judicious remoisturizing just enough that the tobacco is no longer brittle and has a little flexibility to it is about the best thing you can do for it.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
In cases where a tin will remain open, I put a piece of wax paper on top then put the lid on. It works very well for me. I find this especially helpful on 8oz tins. I'm just not a "jar it" guy. In my cellar, it keeps the tobacco moist for about a year. Obviously, each time you open it, you lose a bit of moisture. As for that McClelland thing, it doesn't transfer to the smoked tobacco. Some say its fermentation, others that it's an anti fungal treatment McClelland uses. Mike and Mary McNeil seem to say it's the former. For me, it's never been an issue.

Mike S.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This is an interesting topic of conversation. I have noticed that some tobaccos seem to keep far better than others. I have found pouches of Condor in jackets in my wardrobe that are months old and are still fresh and smokable. There are some blends that just never seen to go off like Captain Monochromatic aka Captain Black where opened pouches have been found from 2000 years ago in Egyptian pyramids and the stuff is a moist as a virgins cooter. Strangely War Horse Bar tends to dry out in the tin very quickly and if not consumed within a week of opening tends to resemble modeling balsa wood for some strange reason!

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I don't like to jar so to keep the tobacco fresh after I open the tin I put a double aluminum foil under the cover and I seal the tin with electric tape. The tobacco stay fresh this way very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.