PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Got enough beaters already ? The fissure on the front of the bowl is deep, probably doesn't leave 1/8" wall in the chamber and the one on the shank goes all the way through to the airway.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Got enough beaters already ? The fissure on the front of the bowl is deep, probably doesn't leave 1/8" wall in the chamber and the one on the shank goes all the way through to the airway.
jeesh! what kind of briar?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Could be or it could have had some trauma along the way growing up, overly dry/wet seasons. "shrug"
True.. I suppose no way of knowing. Regardless definitely sucks. I've been lucky with the couple hobby blocks I've worked on.

Reactions: doug535

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's natural material. Imagine how sculptures feel with a ten thousand pound block of marble that cracks. Ouch. I don't think there's any way to know. It probably happens at the White Spot factory six times a day.

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
I actually kept sanding down after seeing the initial crack, just to see. There was no outward indication of any cracks until I started shaping the bowl while it was still on the lathe, thats when a small pit showed up. After taking it off the lathe and starting to shape the bottom side that huge fissure showed up.

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I actually kept sanding down after seeing the initial crack, just to see. There was no outward indication of any cracks until I started shaping the bowl while it was still on the lathe, thats when a small pit showed up. After taking it off the lathe and starting to shape the bottom side that huge fissure showed up.
Honestly, better that you ran into those cracks when you did, instead of doing all the work finishing a pipe with major defects lurking just below the surface. It would really suck to do all that work then light it up, and have a massive burn-through.

Status
Not open for further replies.