PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I posted on the wrong thread.

My favorite shapes are straight Billiards, Apples, small bend in my Rhodesians. Straight or small bend in my Dublins. Not a fan of the full bend on any pipe.

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
Hi, If I may ask, what exactly is a 'pot' ? ...Is it a billiard shape with a wider diameter and shorter depth ? It seems to me that would produce a greater airflow for some reasons but i have never smoked that shape and am curious if you could explain it to me. Thank you in advance.
I'm fairly new to pipes, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. But to my knowledge it's a billiard variation. Take a billiard shape, lop off the top, around a 1/3, but maybe more or less, it's a pot. Practically, I think pots are a bit wider. Not a huge difference, but I think I get a stronger smoke out of the few I have. May have to do with the width. Mostly though, I just think they have the aesthetic of pragmatic badassery

Reactions: Hillcrest

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
About two years in to smoking pipes, it dawned on me that Rhodesians and Builldogs made me to think "oh yeah!" and hit the buy button. I made of list of classic shapes and eventually acquired every one. Later, I learned that I really prized those shapes in smaller sizes, so some of the larger sizes were sold off. So, the bulk of my collection is made of of those shapes. Bent billiards coming in 3rd. I've never owned a straight billiard, Canadian, Lovat, etc.

And,the bulk are also British brands, with a few Castello's and artisan pipes thrown in, but only in those shapes!

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
About two years in to smoking pipes, it dawned on me that Rhodesians and Builldogs made me to think "oh yeah!" and hit the buy button. I made of list of classic shapes and eventually acquired every one. Later, I learned that I really prized those shapes in smaller sizes, so some of the larger sizes were sold off. So, the bulk of my collection is made of of those shapes. Bent billiards coming in 3rd. I've never owned a straight billiard, Canadian, Lovat, etc.

And,the bulk are also British brands, with a few Castello's and artisan pipes thrown in, but only in those shapes!

One helluva collection of quality Al. ?☕

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'm fairly new to pipes, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. But to my knowledge it's a billiard variation. Take a billiard shape, lop off the top, around a 1/3, but maybe more or less, it's a pot. Practically, I think pots are a bit wider. Not a huge difference, but I think I get a stronger smoke out of the few I have. May have to do with the width. Mostly though, I just think they have the aesthetic of pragmatic badassery
Thanks for replying to what I meant to ask ! I have an Erica second (Peterson) pub pipe ... 307 shape I think and while I like the look of the pipe and the stem and I occasionally like using it I find the 22+ mm width just too much ... it tends to burn a little too fast and little hotter and there is just too much smoke even if I slow way down. So I tend to stick to 20mm max width for me. Everybody's different but I just know that shape is not for me. Thanks again for confirming my suspicions. All the best !