PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Yes, I don't think the moisture from smoke and steam is equivalent to running streams of water through it. Can the briar handle it anyway? Probably, but it might prove compromising in some way. I can't see it do any favours to the cake and inside of the bowl, for example. With that said, I will still try rinsing with water on a few cheap briars later today just for kicks. I haven't smoked them in years so there isn't much to lose...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Here's my concern. Imagine there's a small unseen flaw within the shank.
How much moisture do you need when it is a small unseen flaw? It sounds like you're describing a flaw the size of a grain of sand. You don't need a river to fill up a mud puddle.
It doesn't matter to me whether you wash your pipes with soap and water. But you should make your decision based on facts instead of fiction.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I certainly started with bangers, but for the last two years every pipe I smoke has been treated this way, and zero problems. Barlings, Dunnies, nice Savs, Maestro di Paja, GBD, Charaton, etc.
Sime- Do try this: immediately after a smoke, run your tap to hot water, and flush it out while still warm. Q tip in the mortise (stem should come out easily), cleaner down the airways.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
have to say I'm lost. I'm thinking, the condensation caused by smoking amounts to a pretty small amount of liquid in the pipe as opposed to basically running a small river through the chamber and shank with running water.
Anthony: Sure, a larger quantity of water flows though the airway with a flush, but a much more prolonged exposure happens while smoking, and it's at a much higher temperature. So, it's not just the quantity of water flowing by, but the length of time the briar is subjected to moisture as well as the temperature of the moisture. That's what I meant by stress.
Duane: It was on the internet, so must be true. I doubt anyone on the forum will- or could- show that briar absorbs much of anything. You were joking, no?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Clean them however you like. There's no "must do it this way or else" involved. I'm running a small stream of water through my bowls for about 20 to 30 seconds then immediately scrubbing them out with a wadded up piece of paper towel and some pipe cleaners until dry. That's it. I give the bowl about 30 to 45 minutes before I twist the stem back in. The mortise on some of my pipes did tighten a bit more than others, but after the wait period, the fit was the same as before. The stability of the briar varies with different pipes. Some show more swelling than others. This is true without water baths as well. Not all briar is the same. And, alcohol can cause swelling as well. What I did notice was that the pipes so treated tasted "fresher" than when I cleaned with alcohol. YMMV.
And I'm not doing this after every smoke. I do this when I want to perform a deeper cleaning, a couple of times a year. Some of my very old pipes that have been coated with a silicate to address some age related issues do not get cleaned with water, just the usual alcohol cleaning to the airway and mortise.
If you are good about keeping your pipes clean, none of this should be an issue as deep cleaning doesn't need to be done that often anyway.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Exactly. I don't remove the stem as the flush removes at least some gunk from the mortise, but I wash out after most smokes. Every now and then I'll remove the stem and clean the mortise thoroughly.
Now I tend to do mass cleanings, 10-12 pipes at a time, and seldom bother with drying either the chamber or airway. Call me lazy! Or efficient. But don't call me late for dinner.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For the sake of clarity, regardless of anyone's personal opinion or preferences, I think it's worth pointing out that there seems to be a big difference between what some are describing as the water method of cleaning and what is described in the OP of this thread.

Jan 8, 2013
It doesn't matter to me whether you wash your pipes with soap and water. But you should make your decision based on facts instead of fiction.
I thought I had done that already, hence me using the good old tried and true alcohol technique. It's a fact that it's been serving pipe smokers well for quite some time. If I didn't know any better, I'd think I ruffled your feathers. Sorry if I did. Seriously, like I said before, if you feel comfortable cleaning your pipes this way, then by all means do so. I personally, still, think it's folly and won't risk it.
Edit to add:
For the sake of clarity, regardless of anyone's personal opinion or preferences, I think it's worth pointing out that there seems to be a big difference between what some are describing as the water method of cleaning and what is described in the OP of this thread.
He makes a good point :mrgreen:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Absolutely. I run a very small stream through the pipe at a rate that doesn't overflow.
I personally, still, think it's folly and won't risk it.
Fair enough, but you won't know it's folly until you've tried it. As I wrote earlier, I waited about a year before giving it a try with a few inexpensive pipes, because I too thought that it might be folly, and was very pleased with the result. That said, I have some very set limits on the practice.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Being on the internet has nothing to do with cleaning with water. Numerous people do utilize the method with success.
Nor does explaining its absorbency. The xylem an phloem are for conveying liquid and nutrients. Wipe a wet finger around the inside of a bare uncoated pipe chamber. Your finger will come back dry.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I no longer believe anything on the internet. And since literally everything is now on the internet, I simply believe nothing.
This has simplified my life immensely.

Jan 8, 2013
Wipe a wet finger around the inside of a bare uncoated pipe chamber. Your finger will come back dry.
I just tried that. I wet my finger under the faucet, and dripping, wiped it on an uncut block of briar. Dry as a bone, lickety split. Interesting. It's like it soaked the water from my finger like a sponge. Interesting.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I no longer believe anything on the internet. And since literally everything is now on the internet, I simply believe nothing.

This has simplified my life immensely.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ Yes, the Oracle of Delphi knew that Socrates was the wisest.
But we've come a long way since then...the Oracle of Google knows it is Roy Hobbs.
World’s wisest man found on internet
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/worlds-wisest-man-found-on-internet-2012091841420

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
Weigh your pipe.

Clean it with hot water as descibed above.

Dry it.

Weigh it again.

Weigh it again 30 minutes later,

Status
Not open for further replies.