PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually, Jay, this is an example of crappy programming by inept humans, or human ineptitude handling of the situation. Computers are incapable of doing anything that their programming doesn't allow. And if the programming has bugs in it, the unexpected can occur.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reminds me of what a friend told me about Facebook. Periodically it will send you notifications about what happened in your life a year or so ago. They got a cheery message "Remember this time last year?!?" on the anniversary of their mother passing.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
What a crappy situation. Hope they get to the bottom of this in as painless a manner as possible for the family.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Sounds like she owed quite a bit of money when she passed. And I'm sure with the long term illness, they accumulated unbelievable medical bills. I'd like to know the entire story or more importantly, I'd like to know both sides of the story. Perhaps I'm different but getting an insensitive letter doesn't cause me to go off the deep end near as much as someone who owes me $4000 and doesn't pay it. Where some people see this as "big, bad PayPal", I also see the possibility of husband playing victim card looking for sympathy and a payday.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm with HoosierPipeGuy on this one. It's very sad for the family that the woman passed, but maybe the debt to Paypal was intended. With medical bills and other costs that come from battling long term illness; maybe they used Paypal knowing that when the woman passed the debt might be forgiven as the woman could not settle the debt. It's silly to say that the woman's death is a breach of contract, but just because she passed doesn't mean the debt is wiped clean. The husband should be responsible for the debt which is what Paypal was going for and it just came across poorly.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I find it hard to believe that the below was 'human' generated, indeed, PayPal themselves suggest there is a bug in the system. Don't forget, the message was addressed to the deceased lady herself.
You are in breach of condition 15.4(c) of your agreement with PayPal Credit as we have received notice that you are deceased… this breach is not capable of remedy.”
Also I don't get the impression matey is trying to wriggle out of the outstanding debt, he just wanted to point out the insensitive nature of the e-mail.
Regards,
Jay.
EDIT: I just read that PayPal have cancelled the debt and apologised in full for the communication so good on them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With artificial intelligence so-called, the possibilities of human error magnified become exponential. Computers can now learn to make more inscrutable mistakes. Hal the Computer (from the movie "2001") lives on. "I haven't been myself lately."

Status
Not open for further replies.