12 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 10, 2024
Clinton, CT
I just bought two little pipes off of ebay--cheap, like 20 bucks new. The seller said they were "shag" pipes. First off, I do not know what that means. Second, they are interesting because the bowl is like nothing I have ever seen. The shank comes in underneath the bowl and the bowl has two very tiny holes in the bottom for the smoke to pass through into the heel out the shank. They smoke fine as a novelty but how the heck would you clean these tiny little holes other than with a pin (they are that small). Just curious about these weird little things--any thoughts appreciated.
Mike G

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can't speak to the two holes in the chamber, but my understanding of "shag pipes" is that they have smaller dimensions overall, and are for smoking shag tobacco relatively quickly. Think of a short "smoke break" like when others would have a cigarette.

I suspect that was the original purpose of these little Brulor princes on Smokingpipes: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brulor/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=603279 (if that looks like an ordinary pipe to you, scale down the picture until it's 5" long and you'll see what I mean. ;) )

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Mar 10, 2024
Clinton, CT
I can't speak to the two holes in the chamber, but my understanding of "shag pipes" is that they have smaller dimensions overall, and are for smoking shag tobacco relatively quickly. Think of a short "smoke break" like when others would have a cigarette.

I suspect that was the original purpose of these little Brulor princes on Smokingpipes: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brulor/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=603279 (if that looks like an ordinary pipe to you, scale down the picture until it's 5" long and you'll see what I mean. ;) )
Yes this makes sense, they are very small. They look like normal pipes when you see the photo on ebay, you purchase them and these two little pipes come. Oh well, I was not out much money and they are bizarre little novelties. I will put pipe tobacco in them until they do not work anymore and throw them out!

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Mar 10, 2024
Clinton, CT
Yes I would also like to see them. If i had to guess, I'd say they were not for pipe tobacco, based on your description. But if they work for it, so be it! A pin, a pipe cleaner, and warm water should clean it up!
You are right. Just got tricked on ebay on that one. They work for now. It was an interesting learning experience

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If main bore is big enough you may be able to open up the drilling near the stem. Im guessing its a normal bore but a bit low and all the way through the bowl so you get two holes.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
These look a lot like the countless tiny French pipes that you might find from Saint Claude (much like Brulor). It looks like the shank drilling goes under the chamber and the tiny holes are drilled to meet it. This looks like a “design feature” to serve as a filter of sorts. A more conventional drilling might allow tobacco to get inhaled. It seems very likely these would’ve been used for smoking something like shag cut tobacco. “Shag” is a different cut in Europe than what we think of shag here. I don’t think anything shady or nefarious is going on with these pipes. They look like vintage tobacco pipes. These little pipes are great for sample tasting. Below are two French Brulor pipes (from the 1950s), with an El-Morjane from Algeria in the middle (Washington quarter shown for scale).

20240610_084913.jpg

Now, I want to search for these two pipes you found!

Mar 10, 2024
Clinton, CT
These look a lot like the countless tiny French pipes that you might find from Saint Claude (much like Brulor). It looks like the shank drilling goes under the chamber and the tiny holes are drilled to meet it. This looks like a “design feature” to serve as a filter of sorts. A more conventional drilling might allow tobacco to get inhaled. It seems very likely these would’ve been used for smoking something like shag cut tobacco. “Shag” is a different cut in Europe than what we think of shag here. I don’t think anything shady or nefarious is going on with these pipes. They look like vintage tobacco pipes. These little pipes are great for sample tasting. Below are two French Brulor pipes (from the 1950s), with an El-Morjane from Algeria in the middle (Washington quarter shown for scale).

View attachment 316297

Now, I want to search for these two pipes you found!
wow, thanks for the information. Those pipes are on ebay. The seller has many many on there like this. I will send you the link. $20 bucks I think I paid, new, unsmoked, etc. They don't smoke bad actually. The chamber under the pot is kind of interesting.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey