Shag Cut, Why Don’t We See It More Often?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I’ve smoked McClelland 221b Black Shag off and on over the years, and have always loved it’s burn characteristics. Recently, I’ve tried a few D&R shags and G&H Kendal Gold Vanilla Shag. The D&Rs come very dry, burn evenly and effortlessly. The Kendal Gold has got to be the most delicate tobacco I’ve ever seen, and the ease of smoking reflects that very well. I know that in the old days shag was considered an inferior, and often cheap cut. I never really understood that. It seems to me that it would take more effort to obtain a fine shag cut that it would a standard ribbon or pebble cut. Can anyone tell me why we don’t see it more often? Is there something I’m missing? Something that does in fact make shag inferior to ribbon or pebble cut? For my part, I like it and would like to see it much more often.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve smoked McClelland 221b Black Shag off and on over the years, and have always loved it’s burn characteristics. Recently, I’ve tried a few D&R shags and G&H Kendal Gold Vanilla Shag. The D&Rs come very dry, burn evenly and effortlessly. The Kendal Gold has got to be the most delicate tobacco I’ve ever seen, and the ease of smoking reflects that very well. I know that in the old days shag was considered an inferior, and often cheap cut. I never really understood that. It seems to me that it would take more effort to obtain a fine shag cut that it would a standard ribbon or pebble cut. Can anyone tell me why we don’t see it more often? Is there something I’m missing? Something that does in fact make shag inferior to ribbon or pebble cut? For my part, I like it and would like to see it much more often.
I agree. Big shag fan here.

it’s probably harder to store and keep moist without crumbling? (Speculation)

I think a lot of people who smoke a pipe when they see shag think cig tobacco.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've only had picayune "the pride of new orleans". It seemed like a shag cut to me, and seemed to burn fast and hot for me. Maybe I should have tried to rehydrate it first.
I’ve heard some folks have luck by packing the pipe and clenching it for a while, breathing through the pipe, before lighting it.

Reactions: BROBS

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I enjoy Kendal Kentucky, Penny Farthing, Tabac Manil Petite Robin, Kendal Dark Shag, KBV Live Wire, and sometimes mix some Five Brothers into things. I like shag because it is easy to load, easy to light, and usually makes for a short but satisfying smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shag does burn fast and hot, as logs and others mention. It's a good short smoke, like during a work break, at work or at home. But for relaxing, it is too short a smoke for me. I like Petite Robin and Five Brothers and others, but not a regular part of my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.