PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Just finished Alfred Lansings book on Shackleton. Great read! I also found a short doc on the failed expedition. Awesome to see actual photos and video from that era.

They were all pipe smokers and when their tobacco ran out..their moral did as well.

This story makes me feel like a lazy sob!!!

View attachment 167765
It is a fascinating story. I saw the documentary a few years ago. Thanks for remembering. I'm going to watch it again.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Just finished Alfred Lansings book on Shackleton. Great read! I also found a short doc on the failed expedition. Awesome to see actual photos and video from that era.

They were all pipe smokers and when their tobacco ran out..their moral did as well.

This story makes me feel like a lazy sob!!!

View attachment 167765
If you haven't alrealy, give Nataniel Philbrick's "In the Heart of the Sea" a read! An incredible historian! It was later made into a movie. He's has a few other books on Nantucket and other American history. One of my favorite authors!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I took one of my daughters back to the city of my birth Dundee last year and did a tour of the ship Discovery. Great history and a successful expedition for both Shackleton and Scott before subsequent fateful Antarctic expeditions.
View attachment 168117View attachment 168118View attachment 168119View attachment 168120
What great photos! Thanks for showing us.👍
Did they have Scott’s pipe on show? Think it’s that museum in Dundee that’s got it still. You should tell your daughter there’s a load of old pipe smokers who are very jealous of her. lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remarkable leadership Shackleton showed in getting his entire crew through the extended journey back to rescue. I think he must have carefully screened his crew to find people who were physically and mentally able to survive such a struggle. Everyone had to remain optimistic and determined in what looked like a suicide mission. Hypothermia can end lives in hours. And there's the old ship, cryogenically preserved under the ice.

Reactions: Pondfisher