New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I recently read Endurance by Lansing just after the ship was found in May of this year. Good read, but not necessarily as detailed as I would have preferred.

Being from the Great Lakes state, I enjoy reading about shipwrecks and seeing photos of the remains (but think the wrecks themselves are tragic). Modern technology really allows for some amazing underwater photos.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you haven’t read “The Worst Journey in the World” by Apsley Cherry-Garrard I strongly recommend that as well. A first hand account of Robert Scott’s ill-fated South Pole Expedition. A remarkable story of unfathomable endurance.

You may also enjoy the novel “The Memoirs of Stockholm Sven” by Nathaniel Ian Miller. Know to us here, as @odobenus 😉

Great little page turner set on Svalbard with pipes galore and a pup named after a certain pipe making legend 😁

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
If you haven’t read “The Worst Journey in the World” by Apsley Cherry-Garrard I strongly recommend that as well. A first hand account of Robert Scott’s ill-fated South Pole Expedition. A remarkable story of unfathomable endurance.

You may also enjoy the novel “The Memoirs of Stockholm Sven” by Nathaniel Ian Miller. Know to us here, as @odobenus 😉

Great little page turner set on Svalbard with pipes galore and a pup named after a certain pipe making legend 😁
Thanks for the recommendations! I will check them out!

Skink

Can't Leave
Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
Back in March I watched "Shackleton's Endurance: The Lost Ship Found" on the History Channel. They told the story of the expedition, showed the photographs, but pretty much concentrated on how they located the ship. I enjoyed watching it. Still can't believe that the entire crew survived the 18 months on the ice.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio

Damn!............... I've enjoyed Odob's cigar smoking posts and never put the two together............
Thanks for that- Putting it on my must read list now............

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
History is so much more fascinating than legend.

—-

“Fancy that ridiculous Shackleton & his South Pole — in the crash of the world.
“When all the sick & wounded have been tended, when all their impoverished & broken hearted homes have been restored, when every hospital is gorged with money, & every charitable subscription is closed, then & not till then would I concern myself with those penguins. I suppose however something will have to be done.”
— letter from Winston Churchill to his wife, writing from a Flanders trench, 1916 [Churchill in WWI]
—-

Of course, in the event, something was done and Shackleton passed into legend.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I went to our local independent bookstore today to buy “The Worst Journey in the World” by Apsley Cherry-Garrard, recommended by @alaskanpiper and it wasn't available, so I bought
IMG20220909150541.jpg

I can't wait to start reading Endurance. The problem is I'm currently reading
IMG20220909150601.jpg

If I read both at the same time I'll be so confused. Shackleton and his crew will be solving the murder mystery and Kurt Wallander will be sailing to Antarctica.

"The Worst Journey in the World" is on my list of must reads.