PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
A flake with orientals, Virginias, and tonquin bean flavoring. I've been curious about this one for a while, but haven't ever seen it in stock on SPC since it came to my attention (maybe almost a year ago now). Out of stock on 4 Noggins, too, and not even listed on P&C. Has it been discontinued?

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Oh, totally did not think of Iwan Ries. Thanks for that! Now I just have to check whether they do international shipping and I'm good!

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Check out this guy, he must really like the stuff.
https://www.facebook.com/Samuel-Gawith-Sams-Flake-236433279877667/timeline

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Tonquin Bean has been made illegal by the Fed's. The FDA is enforcing the ban.
An article in The Atlantic recently said it (Tonquin Bean) contains coumarin and this has been confused with Coumadin® a product Bristol-Myers manufactures by changing the chemical structure of coumarin. Coumadin is used as a a blood thinner. The US seems to be the only country going off about this." Coumarin has since been found to occur naturally in cinnamon, lavender, licorice, and a host of other commonly eaten plants—all of which would seem to be illegal under the regulation" according to the article. The article goes on to say, to be a factor it would have to be consumed in such quantities that would make nutmeg and other everyday spices toxic.
I tried to post a link to the article but as usual my computer illiteracy prevailed.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Tonquin Bean has been made illegal by the Fed's.

But Sam Gawith's 1792 flake is still available, right? I guess they may not be using actual tonquin bean, but some sort of similar flavoring. That still doesn't explain why Sam's Flake is such a rarity.

@supdog:
That is... creepy and hilarious. Maybe this stuff turns you into a Sam's Flake zombie and they had to recall all of it from the market. Either that or that one dude bought up the whole supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.