PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hi guys. I just bought 250g SG Brown #4 and the packaging is just a sealed box with the rope in a Ziplock bag. Just wondering what the shelf life and ageing process would be that way? Either way the rope was great out of the box and has just a little plume here and there, mmm yummy stuff.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, they are in a ziplock bag within the box. I'm sure it would age well in the box because of it's form but I would take it out and stuff it in a mason jar for peace of mind.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The bag inside the SG boxes is a thin poly ziploc. Poly is a poor moisture/O2 barrier, and the contents will dry out over time if the ambient humidity is low enough. I would suggest for long-term storage either transferring the contents to a Ball jar, or putting the box in a heat-sealed Mylar bag.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I trust no tobacco to any container not air tight.
Ive had a couple instances prove me wrong, such as some old Mel Feldman "The Smoker" blends, which are in tins, wrapped, and also internally bagged.
YMMV.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I take those ropes and cut them into segments as long as the jar is tall then stuff them in vertically until there is practically no airspace left. Stuff 'em in.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A good rule of thumb is that if you can smell the tobacco through the packaging, then you are losing moisture and flavor, and letting in O2.

Status
Not open for further replies.