PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harkpuff

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Just curious.....what do you suppose is the percentage of Latakia used in Samuel Gawith Navy Flake? To me it's really difficult to determine this just by looking at the flakes.

I love this blend and my friend who also loves Latakia and Virginia blends was just wondering if anyone had an idea.

Not that it really matters.....but just curious for conversation sake.

Harkpuff

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I would say it's tiny -- like 3-5%. Not really perceived as Latakia in the smoke, but merely a background element that enhances the experience. An experience I thoroughly enjoy, by the way.
Bob

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Enough to make it smokey and round off the blend. Some days it really sticks out there in the "after smoke bowl scent" ( yes I have a dedicated pipe for it ).

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I would have guessed something like 5%, as well, but Synjeco's description claims 15%.
Synjeco usually have really good info on the English tobaccos. Much better descriptions than manufacturers' own sites.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jarit: I take minor issue with your analysis of Synjeco's tobacco descriptions. I've been telling them for ten years that there's no perique in Three Nuns, and they still won't change the description. The Burrus blends all have the same description, too. But overall, they do a good job, and have great stuff, if you can afford the shipping prices.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
@jiminks: Heh, I've noticed the same thing regarding the Three Nuns description. I did say usually, though.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
15% sounds about right to me. It's a lot like their Balkan Flake - tone down the lat, add the rum topping, and voila.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I agree, Jud. I'm smoking it now and I think it's a bit much for indoors. Luckily the arctic moved on. Someone could always ask SG.

Status
Not open for further replies.