PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Picked me up a tin of this recently. I happen to like blackberry flavor, and if you do also, it's a good one to consider. Unlike aros in which the tobacco is merely a sponge used to absorb the topping, Firedance uses quality tobacco with a decent natural flavor of its own. Like most SG blends, it comes pretty wet. The more you dry it though, the weaker the topping flavor becomes, so there's a trade-off between taste/aroma and smokeability. I found that like Mayor's Chocolate Flake, Firedance tastes best straight from the tin. But doing that meant relighting it after every few puffs. Good chance my neighbors across the street watching me thought I was smoking dope :D I'm not sure how much longer Firedance will be available in the US (I'm still wishing I'd picked up a few tins of Brown Sugar Flake).

I'm actually shocked! Shutterbug and aromatic... in the same sentence... writing a review no less. Ha ha!

I've found that I like this one with a pinch of Newminsters Blackberry Brandy.... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/firedance-blackberry-brandy

I don't smoke it often. Actually, it's been quite a while, but good nonetheless.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I can't taste the tobacco underneath this one, just the topping. It has been in the jar for about a year, maybe I will give it another go.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This was the most repulsive tasting baccy I had ever had the unfortunate experience to smoke. If I recall correctly Harris said, and I'm paraphrasing, "it tasted like baby puke". I heartily concur.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just shows how we each have different tastes.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've recently become interested in some of these blends lately. I've not yet tried them but FVF, Firedance , and 1793 are on a short list to try.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I'm actually shocked! Shutterbug and aromatic... in the same sentence
I occasionally like an aromatic, provided it's not crap-quality burley used as a topping-sponge, and provided the top note is something I like the taste of, and provided it's got some nic-body. Erik Stokkebye's 4th-Gen 1931 Flake (light honey flavor) is a standard of mine, as is SG Kendal Mayor's Chocolate Flake. Others such as Cult Blood Red Moon and Lane BCA I prefer to use as a mixer with some stronger natural blend, either a VA or a Lat-bomb. Firedance is definitely a dessert smoke for me, and only on occasion.
I can't taste the tobacco underneath this one, just the topping. It has been in the jar for about a year, maybe I will give it another go.
Aging it in a jar won't do what you want. Take it out of the jar and dry it 3-4 hours. Much of the topping will dissipate. IIRC the base is Best Brown Flake.
If I recall correctly Harris said, and I'm paraphrasing, "it tasted like baby puke". I heartily concur.
I suppose it could, assuming you put blackberry brandy in his bottle and he can't hold his liquor. But as I never tasted baby puke I'll have to defer to those who presumably have.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Shutterbug, when I was a young man and went hunting for the first time, my dad gave me two things. A high power rifle and a shot of BlackBerry Brandy.
I'd rather take the gun to myself than smoke FIRE DANCE again. I was traumatized.
Disclaimer. My smoking style has greatly improved and certain blends that almost turned me off to smoking a pipe are in play again, but not FIRE DANCE.
like I said, I'm really glad it worked out for you.

I wouldn't smoke aromatics at all if it were for kids and the wife. But, if someone is looking for an aromatic that you can taste instead of just hot air and a room note, this would be one. I just have to have something that won't make the girls smell like they've been at the bar all night playing poker, while I smoke making breakfast for them before school. It's a compromise. Plus, FD has a pretty good nic hit. Currently, I'm smoking Peterson's Luxury Blend for breakfast which has a citrusy vanilla flavor... plus a decent nic hit for me.

Once the kids are gone, I probably won't smoke any aros except Molto Dolce, to get the old lady's tractor cranked, ha ha.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I have bought a tin of firedance a couple of years ago. I thought it wasn't too bad at all, and like the OP said, you can taste the tobacco. I prefer Best Brown Flake to Firedance. I might pick up a couple more tins and smoke it like Cosmic describes, in the company of nonsmokers. The only difference between Cosmic and myself is that he tries to create harmony in the household, I am just trying to be a bad influence and tempt the nonsmoker into trying a little...and then a little more....and then....poof...I have a new pipe smoking buddy* Anyway, Firedance is a nice flavored flake with some high quality leaf that tastes like berrys and tobacco.
Kiel
*Disclaimer-this hasn't actually worked for me yet.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've been interested in this one ever since I read the base Tobacco was that of Best Brown Flake. I'll have to finally pull the trigger on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.