PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Just got a few tins of this stuff and I'm a pretty big fan of this blending house. I'm sitting here opening up a tin to rub some out to smoke and my first thought is Peppermint Skoal from the tin note. I was a heavy user of Wintergreen Skoal in the ARMY and couldn't stand the taste or smell of the peppermint flavor Skoal. It's making my stomach turn just by the smell. Keeping my fingers crossed that it tastes better. What's everyone else's experience?

downeck

Lurker
Sep 2, 2016
North Florida
Just got a few tins of this stuff and I'm a pretty big fan of this blending house. I'm sitting here opening up a tin to rub some out to smoke and my first thought is Peppermint Skoal from the tin note. I was a heavy user of Wintergreen Skoal in the ARMY and couldn't stand the taste or smell of the peppermint flavor Skoal. It's making my stomach turn just by the smell. Keeping my fingers crossed that it tastes better. What's everyone else's experience?
That was my reaction when I cracked open my first tin of 1792 in 2016 (when I was still in the Army). That Tonquin bean is unique. The smoke, however, was an experience. I still smoke a bowl every once in a long while in a corn cob.

Reactions: Piping Rooster

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
One of a few I have well represented in the cellar. Last purchase was 5+ years ago, always keep 10+ tins on hand. (I smoke infrequently now but still enjoy the hobby!) It was a stellar blend when the aromatics were properly applied and I hope it still is. I've heard the company has been making things a bit less aromatic forward.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
So this is potent! Strong in vit N, strong flavor that has ghosted my mouth. No bite, and smooth. I does taste better than the tin note but not an all/every day smoke for me. Never had a blend leave my mouth feeling tingly and like it was coated in almost an oily feel. Smoked it out of a cob. Rubbed out, lit well with few relights. Wasn't able to finish bowl because of the narcotic level of nicotine and I'm no nic wuss either. Think I'm going to go stick my head in a bucket of ice water now.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I bought a tin of 1792 about 15 years ago, and smoked maybe half of it to give it a chance. I would have sworn that it had spoiled or otherwise gone wrong, because it just didn't taste good to me at all. IIRC, my impression was that the flavor was like "concentrated smoker's breath." So I found someone online who was interested, and sent them the rest of the tin. They said it tasted fine, just like any other tin of the stuff. Go figure.

Reactions: Piping Rooster

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have a big Ol no name Dublin that only smokes 1792 and Warhorse Bar call it the Tonquin Warrior love the stuff but very seldom have the time to enjoy it , if I'm smoking that stuff it's with four fingers of The Quiet Man on the rocks and a good hour + smoke , when the wife and kids are out of town

Reactions: Chasing Embers

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
If it did not tranquilize me every time I smoked it, I would have it as my daily smoke. I now know to smoke it in the evening. I am glad that I figured it out on a weekend. I smoked a full pipe of it and then wondered why I was so damned tired.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
One of a few I have well represented in the cellar. Last purchase was 5+ years ago, always keep 10+ tins on hand. (I smoke infrequently now but still enjoy the hobby!) It was a stellar blend when the aromatics were properly applied and I hope it still is. I've heard the company has been making things a bit less aromatic forward.
I am smoking a tin from this latest drop. From my experience, the topping is not as prominent as earlier versions. Seems to be the going theme with SG and GH.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I am smoking a tin from this latest drop. From my experience, the topping is not as prominent as earlier versions. Seems to be the going theme with SG and GH.
Thanks for the feedback. 1792 is unique. Is it still an exceptional smoke?

Reactions: FurCoat
From my experience, the topping is not as prominent as earlier versions. Seems to be the going theme with SG and GH.
That's encouraging to hear. It's been a few years since I have smoked this one, but I remember that the topping really overpowered the tobacco. I may have to revisit this one. But... my luck, I will get a tin on the day the slopy topping person soaks it in the stuff.

It's really hard to have a discussion about a blend where everyone in the conversation may be smoking something with completely different amounts of top[pings.

That was the appeal of the lakelands
That may be how you feel about it, and that's valid. But I preferred the tobacco flavors with hints of those Lakeland toppings. Possibly the workers at GH&co may be just as split about it, with each adding their preferential amounts as they work, ha ha. Now, buying a tin of it is just a schizo-gamble, never knowing what you may get.