PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Sad to see them go even though I don't smoke them. The only regular line blend of theirs I liked was the Navy Blend. Just glad its not Old Dark Fired or Acadian Perique.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I had seen this list of discontinued blends a few weeks back over on the Sutliff website and had been mulling over whether or not to add a few tins to the cellar before they become extinct. Well after reading this thread I was persuaded to go ahead and do so. I just snatched up three more tins of the Burley London Blend and another two tins of the HH Mature Virginia for good measure.
I believe we will be seeing quite a few blends discontinued in the coming year(s) as the FDA sticks their hands in places they don't belong and as we see taxes levied on everything tobacco related. Sigh.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I'm glad to see Golden Extra isn't being discontinued. Burley London Blend smokers should know that Golden Extra is Burley London Blend without the topping. Golden Extra is a great burley smoke!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At this point, I don't think tobacco regulation is the cause of discontinuing blends. I think it is the competition between

blenders. If you file through the array of tobaccos and blends, you view literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of them.

One company has at least two dozen versions of Virginia and Virginia Perique, each supposedly catering to a slightly

different taste. The shear saturation of many different brands has to drive some off the market. It's not tobacco retail, but

as a principle of retailing, Costco has made part of its marketing strategy not to give the customer too many choices, since

that only stuns them into making no decision. People can't buy one of everything, so some items go unsold with too many

choices.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
mso489,
Yes, you make some very good points. I agree that in the case of the MacBaren discontinuations, regulation is not a factor. However, every time I hear of a blend being discontinued I can't help but think about the possible impacts regulation and taxation will have on the options available to us in the future. Who knows. One thing for certain though is prices will never be cheaper than they are today.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
... and this is one reason why cellaring happens.
cmdrmcbragg, excellent post. I have seen many blends over the years go the way of the dodo which is I did my cellaring now before anymore of my favorites got discontinued. There are a multitude of reasons this happens, either poor sales, not being able to source the leaf, companies change hands, what ever the reason it happens quite often.
Old Dark Fired is the only Mac Baren blend I cellar and I loaded up with a 25 year supply of it.

rekamepip

Lurker
Sep 4, 2013
il_fullxfull.530624864_fp59.jpg

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I saw this and was worried. I love golden extra. Wanted to try mature Virginia, maybe I can grab one before its gone!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Oof... Nothing there that I cellar but, I feel like I should get some of those at my local B&M for future trading/selling purposes.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.