PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ross86

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
Hi everyone,
Whilst not a pipe enthusiast as such, I like to buy quirky antique objects and came across this pipe rack in Iceland. It is the same as the one on http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/this-old-pipe/ but my one appears to be an antique original, with a couple of wax repairs. Can anyone provide any info on this rack? and was the one in the article a cast of an original?

Many Thanks
Ross

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
I've had that rack for years, having gotten it from my friend Mike Glukler at BriarBlues. It is very old, but I've not been able to find any sort of additional information on it. Until your one, it was the only example I'd ever seen. Sorry I can't offer more. It's a wonderful design, though it would take eight devils for a seven day set of pipes... ;)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
That is drop dead gorgeous and thank you for sharing those pix.
The devil motif is very curious and would love to know the story behind it.
Fnord

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
The devil motif is very curious and would love to know the story behind it
Same. I'm a lover of all things folkloric and horror related, so this macabre little rack sent my antennas up. It's a great piece and I'd love to know more about it as well.

ross86

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. The mystery deepens :) I thought it was rather a strange thing to find in Iceland, though they have a lot of folklore, I think it could more likely be German/Austrian, maybe from the Black Forest? If I find out more I'll be sure to post.
Many thanks
Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.