PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I find this rustication somewhat frightening, while at the same time making my gorge rise a bit. Is the briar so bad that it has to be done this way? Is allowing eight-year-olds to handle sharp tools a responsible practice? Is making an acceptable rustication really really hard? I'm tempted to buy it just so I can light it, sans tobacco. Behold and admire, connoisseurs! (Yeah, I know--each to his own, etc.)

View attachment 339246
Hahahahaha! I’m smoking a Derry 408 right now and was just thinking how I should say it has “butter knife rustication.” It smokes great, but pretty damned ugly….in a good way.

IMG_3892.jpeg

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
From Peterson Pipe Notes:

“Pineapple” Rustication on a Founder’s Edition, 2015 POY

So here it is: just about as low as it could go, a distinct aesthetic decline from hand to machine rustication. This POY and the ones that followed it in 2017 and 2018 used the same process. No wonder the craftsmen in Sallynoggin were excited to bring back in-house, hand-carved rustication!

1727818702653.png

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

Derry Rustic B60, 2016

There was one very bright spot in machine rustication during the Late Dublin era: the first release of “Killer B” Derry Rustic in 2016. It was an inspired move at K&P, clearing out the remarkable B shapes inventory by outfitting the bowls in army mounts with striated acrylic mocha stems to accentuate the acarmel and black stain work. The pineapple effect seemed to disappear and the entire pipe become something organic and connected. I think this is because of both the color palette and the lines the eye sees: smokey wraiths along the mocha stem which funnel into the nickel of the ferrule and are transformed into the cloud puffs of the rustic pattern, all of which is heightened by the hot foil silver P on the stem.

The Derry Rustic release was a poignant moment for Pete Geeks at the time as we said goodbye to the stunning, incredible shapes of the B catalog, most of which would never again be issued. To be sure, some shapes were “quaints,” meaning unusual and/or perhaps difficult to hold, yet several were genuine extensions and expansions of the Peterson design language and said “Kapp & Peterson” as well or better than a number of older shapes from the catalog. A testament, perhaps, to the powerful hold of this first release and the B shapes: you rarely see them on eBay.
(Peterson Pipe Notes #267)

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It just occurred to me that the rustication of this pipe:

View attachment 339317

looks just like the pits of a morel mushroom!

View attachment 339318
I do prefer this version to the pineapple style. It is actually a pretty good looking pipe overall, even if I prefer more of an Italian style rustication (I love Radice's Rind) . The army/spigot mounts are one of my favorite things about Peterson Pipes, both in form and function, and that stem is beautiful. I'd smoke it.