PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

senkosam

Lurker
Dec 2, 2023
Walden, N.Y.
I've had sinus problems for years affecting my sense of smell/taste. The smell of a good coffee or pipe tobacco evades me at times due to a lack of both.
A few reasons:
1. room air is too dry in winter due to low humidity from room heat - unavoidable when the air outside is 40 degrees or lower
2. clogged sinuses kill the sense of smell/ taste
3. allergies due to dust and pollen
4. at my age, the frequency of 1-3 unfortunately has increased

Man do I love to smell and taste fragrant foods and pipe tobacco but lacking because of the above. Some remedies sometimes work such as humidifiers, a nose spray or a saline spray to open sinuses /moisten, allergy pills, and, if possible, blowing my nose to clear sinus passages. Once restored, the smell/ taste of good pipe tobacco, along with a good cup of joe is like heaven!

Today, unfortunately, the four new blends of aromatic Sutliffe tobacco I tried for the first time, were deceptively no better than my old stale tobacco. You can't evaluate new blends if you can't smell them accurately.

Beyond that, smoking is just something I do hoping I can smell and taste, whenever, to reach our shared nirvana.

Last edited:

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I've had sinus problems for years affecting my sense of smell/taste. The smell of a good coffee or pipe tobacco evades me at times due to a lack of both.
A few reasons:
1. room air is too dry in winter due to low humidity from room heat - unavoidable when the air outside is 40 degrees or lower
2. clogged sinuses kill the sense of smell/ taste
3. allergies due to dust and pollen
4. at my age, the frequency of 1-3 unfortunately has increased

Man do I love to smell and taste fragrant foods and pipe tobacco but lacking because of the above. Some remedies sometimes work such as humidifiers, a nose spray or a saline spray to open sinuses /moisten, allergy pills, and, if possible, blowing my nose to clear sinus passages. Once restored, the smell/ taste of good pipe tobacco, along with a good cup of joe is like heaven!

Today, unfortunately, the four new blends of aromatic Sutliffe tobacco I tried for the first time, were deceptively no better than my old stale tobacco. You can't evaluate new blends if you can't smell them accurately.

Beyond that, smoking is just something I do hoping I can smell and taste, whenever, to reach our shared nirvana.
Try running heat low. Mine is only at 63. This will help with sinus issues. Get your ductwork cleaned and use a HEPA filter. Also unclog them by eating pure horseradish or wasabi or very hot peppers. Humidifier and netti-pot are also helpful.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Having a girlfriend moaning is a thing of the past. But hey, I still got both steak and good pipe tobacco to look forward to.
That's why she's a thing of the past - it's about her pleasure, she's the one he had eating the steak (ignoring any metaphors, lol). ;)

Seriously, based on one year of limitations because of COVID a couple of years back, if I couldn't enjoy a bowl of tobacco with sense/taste ability I just wouldn't at all, and frankly didn't for several months. No point to it, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: senkosam

senkosam

Lurker
Dec 2, 2023
Walden, N.Y.
If I lost the sense of smell/taste, there would be no enjoyment in smoking or even snacking in the pm - which isn't a bad thing if it helps me lose weight! lol

Note: "Then taste, but there's the texture. And sound of your girlfriend moaning while eating that steak."
Doubt she would be chewing on anything at the same time. Just saying....;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWhale13