PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Stereotyping lives on in all generations but fortunately many avoid that.
I'm pretty senior, but am up to date on most tasks. I, too, was a beta tester for Photoshop, but way later than Jesse, and didn't suffer most atrocities. I also help with the development with Lightroom, still have it, but it's dormant, having taken only iPhone photos for some time. The Photos app is too convenient! And I have little need to get spot on numbers for exposure and light balance.

• Love
Reactions: sablebrush52

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Bickering between the old and the young has been a mainstay of human societies for a very long time. Plato was doing it when he wasn't writing his Socrates fanfiction stories. Granted, he was always a scold.

Anyway, when I was in college, I did a work-study program for a small local library that doubled as the official museum of the American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor (ADBC), a memorial group honoring WWII POWs in the Pacific theater of the war. I mostly was tasked with digitizing 2D documents for the ADBC, namely their newsletters and obituary pages, but I did occasionally get to archive more interesting material. One of the things that stuck out to me was when I was reading newspaper clippings containing letters and such from soldiers going off to fight, a great deal of them contained expressions of generational anxiety and insecurity. A lot of these letters complained that older generations unfairly viewed the young as being lazy and disrespectful, and that fighting for their nation was an opportunity to disprove those assertions. Imagine it: the generation responsible for defeating Nazism had to deal with oldheads calling them loafers. Nothing has changed but the weather.

I bring this up because when discussing how young folks are unfairly harsh against older folks when it comes to technology (which is an entirely fair gripe), it is worth noting those some older folks will complain endlessly about how addicted to smartphones and computers the younger generations are, usually while staring at screen themselves. It's just part of life. Old folks will always accuse young people of being disrespectful and lazy, and young folks will accuse old people of being out of touch and standoffish. People shouldn't think in stereotypes, but they often do. We seek patterns, it's how our minds work. Or, to quote a glib Onion headline, "Stereotypes save time."