Semyon Nomokonov (Old Pipe Smoking Photo)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
I recon in his civil life this Simyon was professional hunter supplying furs to fabrics
from his wiki

"
Nomokonov first used a rifle at the age of 7. He hunted Sable, Manchurian wapiti and Elk, and was nicknamed Eye of the Kite. Nomokonov was baptized at the age of 15 and received the name Semyon. In 1928 Nomokonov moved to the settlement of Nizhny Stan in the Russian Shilkinsky District. He continued hunting and also practiced carpentry
"

so yes you are right. Hunting out there in the largest forest in the world, right where it meets the great grass steppe. pretty rad

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
I have to wonder what century you're living in.
I just meant it as his made up motto. Not mine, or anything present day. One of my hobbies is the WW2 tabletop game Bolt Action, although I haven't done anything with it in about a year. I have American, German, and Soviet pieces.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hero of Soviet Union, Semyon Nomokonov (1900-1973) was a Soviet Red Army sniper during world war II, credited with killing 367 Nazis.

He also smoked an awesome pipe.

View attachment 92801
His wikipedia entry says, "He initially marked the number of kills on his smoking pipe." There is no supporting cite. Which one of you rascals wrote that?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Indeed he was known by that name. Here is very thing you might to know from a brief YouTube film. He is very famous with the Finns and I am surprised that the Americans have some appreciation for the man!

Reactions: RobNYC