PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
With now having clocked up a three weeks in self-admitted home detention, I thought I would include a pair of special pipes for the third instalment of these threads. While technically not restorations – more cleaning than anything else, these two bad boys were the first pipes I ever purchased for myself.

I spotted them a while back listed online, with some of the most horrendous photos I have ever seen. I thought both the pipes were stained purple, the blur was so bad I couldn’t really tell what was part of the pipe or part of the concrete slab on which they were photographed, oh and they were so far zoomed out it made vertigo kick in.

However, as with most cases of PDA, their purchase provided the necessary slippery slope into the thrill of estate pipe hunting – the desperate internet search for similar nomenclature or other make identifiers… the daily butterflies as you walk to the letter box wondering what might be inside… the OMG moment when you realise what you picked up for a couple of bucks… that brief moment of satisfaction as you stand back and marvel at the one less space that needs filling on your rack…and then, armed with more research and fervent enthusiasm, it all begins again.

Anyways enough of my usual prattle…

Here we have an Orlik De Luxe L166 and a rusticated Jeantet Antic 2038. I really love the grain of the Orlik and it is one of my favourite smokers with quite an open draw and a larger chamber than most of collection. I’m naturally a burley man (a divine irony in light of my physical stature), but the Jeantet really sings when loaded with a VA flake – something I am starting to enjoy for a change of pace.

From my understanding, both of these pipes date to their respective pre-acquisition/merger periods, however if any of you out there have any more information, or similar numbers I’d love to hear about it.

Enjoy.

Dave

P1011495.jpgP1011496.jpgP1011498.jpgP1011501.jpgP1011502.jpgP1011504.jpgP1011505.jpgP1011507.jpgP1011508.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.