PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Hello fellow pipers. I am sure this is the 100th time this has been discussed but I want to frame it in a different way.

Aromatics - I think we all go through the phase of desiring an aromatic. Vanilla, Chocolate, Maple, Cherry, or any delicious flavor we find appealing that ends up being a disappointment. It’s not a disappointment because that flavor does not exist at all, but because of the aftertaste. It’s like eating a sugar free candy or diet drink where the good flavor hits for a moment but then that bad aftertaste hits. I envy those who are not bothered by the aftertaste.

Not to bash any aromatic producers as it must be difficult to flavor tobacco. But it’s obvious a fake flavoring or the method requires a chemical process that results in the aftertaste.

I recently tried the Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged and it blew my socks off. The flavor was real, natural, and infused into the tobacco (my opinion). It’s not an aromatic but now my go to if I ever want a flavor profile. Unfortunately it is costly so will only be a rare treat. I do enjoy EGR plum flavor on occasion and a couple burley codgers.

Does anyone know of any other blends that are naturally infused with a flavor like SPCPPBB? Not chemical topped or cased?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You could try tobaccos that have no or little flavoring in them. After all, you said you were looking for tobaccos that had no chemical or otherwise altered state of flavoring. If you are after a more natural tasting aromatic there are zillions of these available for sale.

Reactions: El Capitán

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
You could try tobaccos that have no or little flavoring in them. After all, you said you were looking for tobaccos that had no chemical or otherwise altered state of flavoring. If you are after a more natural tasting aromatic there are zillions of these available for sale.
I am good with many non aromatic blends. I am asking if anyone has had a blend that indicates an aroma or flavoring that when smoking it does not have a chemical like aftertaste. For example Haunted BookShop is delicious but there is no toppings or casings. I am just curious if anyone has had my issues with that chemical aftertaste on aromatics and is so did they find any that did not leave an aftertaste.

Reactions: FLDRD

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Personal thing. I don’t get a “chemical” aftertaste from any number of aros and don’t see it as a given but that also means suggestions are meaningless since we don’t have the same experience— then there are non aros that have some topping - maybe that is what you are after? But maybe the same issue.

Reactions: El Capitán

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
HH Acadian Perique was one of my eye openers in that all of its flavor is only from its tobacco.

Of late, C&D Winchester consists of only Red Virginia and Unsweetened Black Cavendish and is an extremely flavorful blend.

I enjoy Crooner for much the same reason. Two ingredients: Cube cut Burley and some Deertongue.

Like you, if I get a chemically aftertaste, which is prevalent in so many blends, I’m done with it. I purchased a tin of EGR, tasted the artifice and mailed it off to a friend.

Even Carter Hall, which early on I used to adore, has an off putting chemical sweetness to me.

My mainstays are those listed above and Pegasus and of course, Granger.

The latter being my personal Acadia.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
You may like Gl Pease Quiet Nights. It's cased with a few different things, but it only adds to the tobaccos. Honestly, I think you'd like it better than SPC. If it's full Englishes like SPC you're looking for, pretty much all of them are cased with spirits and natural flavors, but only to compliment the tobaccos and smooth out the rough edges. Nightcap is another great one to try. Also, G&H Bob's Chocolate is a great English aromatic with excellent tobacco and natural cocoa flavor.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
HH Acadian Perique was one of my eye openers in that all of its flavor is only from its tobacco.

Of late, C&D Winchester consists of only Red Virginia and Unsweetened Black Cavendish and is an extremely flavorful blend.

I enjoy Crooner for much the same reason. Two ingredients: Cube cut Burley and some Deertongue.

Like you, if I get a chemically aftertaste, which is prevalent in so many blends, I’m done with it. I purchased a tin of EGR, tasted the artifice and mailed it off to a friend.

Even Carter Hall, which early on I used to adore, has an off putting chemical sweetness to me.

My mainstays are those listed above and Pegasus and of course, Granger.

The latter being my personal Acadia.
You and me seem the same. I started on Captain Black and Carter Hall and now same for me. It’s become chemically to me. I love all HH products. I like Crooner and Pegasus. I have not tried Granger yet so I will add that to my list.

Reactions: Grangerous

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
You may like Gl Pease Quiet Nights. It's cased with a few different things, but it only adds to the tobaccos. Honestly, I think you'd like it better than SPC. If it's full Englishes like SPC you're looking for, pretty much all of them are cased with spirits and natural flavors, but only to compliment the tobaccos and smooth out the rough edges. Nightcap is another great one to try. Also, G&H Bob's Chocolate is a great English aromatic with excellent tobacco and natural cocoa flavor.
I do not like QN as much as EMP. I have not tried Nightcap. I do enjoy Bob’s but the chocolate is undetectable to me but I enjoy it.

WerewolfOfLondon

Jun 8, 2023
London
Natural flavour is the way to go for me too. The way you describe it as being like a diet drink is a great analogy. I had never thought of it like that before, but as soon as you said it, I knew what you meant. The natural, genuine sweetness you get from a good virginia is far superior to any aromatic I have smoked. It just takes a bit longer to tease it out. That said, I am sure I don't properly understand aromatics. Black cavendish aros all taste pretty much the same to me. One or two exceptions, such as Solani Festival, or Germains Cavendish and Virginia, but that's it.

Reactions: FLDRD

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Maybe something along the lines of Aylesbury Luxury Flake, which seems to have a light honey topping, would work for you. Also F&T Cut Virginia Plug, which has an almost orange creamsicle flavor, but very natural.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Maybe something along the lines of Aylesbury Luxury Flake, which seems to have a light honey topping, would work for you. Also F&T Cut Virginia Plug, which has an almost orange creamsicle flavor, but very natural.
Sounds interesting. I will add to my list.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
You might look into GL Pease 'The Virginia Cream.' Flavored but in a 'natural' and fairly unobtrusive way. Another thought is some of the other Lakeland style tobaccos. Lots of flavors but without a chemical aftertaste.

Reactions: Old_Newby