PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
I have a pipe that’s a bit of a mystery to me and I’m hoping someone here might be able to shed some insight on it. The pipe is pictured below and I’m happy to provide additional information or photos. Here’s what I know about the pipe: I received the pipe from my dad in the mid-1990s. He’d used it heavily for who knows how long prior to giving up smoking in the mid-1970s – I’d guess he smoked it in excess of 10 years at least. When I received it, the sand-blasted bowl was almost completely coated in a thick black shiny coating of what I guess was paint. It reminded me of what used to be called a “Japanned finish.” The bowl had a few spots on the sides where red wood showed through from what appeared to be years of pocket wear. It showed signs of heavy use, the chamber cake was pretty thick and it was one of his “work pipes” in Alaska when he did contract clearing and survey work for the Territory and later the State of Alaska. The bent shape was useful when peering through a transit or other optical instruments.

The only writing on the pipe was the phrase “RED ROOT” over “Imported Briar” or “Italian Briar” stamped on the shank (I can’t recall). It was stamped in block letters, no script. I refinished the pipe about 10 years ago because it was just plain ugly. While sanding the black coating I discovered pretty reddish briar underneath so only removed the high spots leaving the black coating in the deeper cracks and contours. The final color is just waxed – no stain of any kind. I asked my dad back in the 90s who made the pipe and he said he thought it was a brand of Kaywoodie used for inferior bowls that had to be covered up to be sold. According to the Pipephil website, the Red Root line was introduced by Kaywoodie in 1976, but I believe dad must have owned this pipe sometime in the 1950s or certainly the 1960s.

So what does the collective knowledge of Pipe Magazine think? Was there a “Red Root” pipe company before the Kaywoodie 1970s incarnation? All of the Red Root pipes I see on-line have fancy stems, but this one is plain, with a screw-in fitment. It doesn’t have a Kaywoodie style stinger but I suppose that could have been cut off. Dad didn’t cut off any of his Kaywoodie stingers, and if this one was cut off, it looks like a very clean job.

Anyway, any suggestions comments or links worth searching would sincerely be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• RED ROOT left.jpg
    RED ROOT left.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 23
  • RED ROOT right.jpg
    RED ROOT right.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 23
  • RED ROOT bottom.jpg
    RED ROOT bottom.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 22
  • RED ROOT front.jpg
    RED ROOT front.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 22
  • RED ROOT stem.jpg
    RED ROOT stem.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 22
  • RED ROOT stinger.jpg
    RED ROOT stinger.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 23

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Thanks for the kind words! It’s always interesting to me when confronted with a mystery in his day and age of almost unlimited information available via the internet. Here’s a few more clues I found on-line:

The Wally Frank pipe company imported a brand of Macedonian briar pipes labeled Red Root, exact dates unknown, but early 1940s catalogs have examples. The examples I found on-line looked far too grand to be related to my humble pipe. I suppose it is possible dud bowls of this line were given a quick sand-blasting, painted and sold in the US as basket pipes without the Frank script stamp. The Frank Red Root line did include a bent model (shape #12), but none of the examples I could find appeared to have screw-in fitments.

Of course, the Kaywoodie Red Roots (vintage and modern production) all look like push in stems as well, so the mystery continues.

Reactions: didimauw

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll look at the vintage offerings of LHS and Comoy models and post if I see anything that looks like it might match.