Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Title edited for clarity and removing all caps. There is another thread by WNC etc that does not have all caps in title or body.

Please see Rule 9.

HELLO. I'M LOOKING FOR LATAKIA LOVERS TO PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT ENGLISH/BALKAN BLENDS YOU LOVE, WHAT IT IS, AND WHY... THANKS SO MUCH... WNCLEE28466

Last edited by a moderator:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
WhiteKnight, it’s a balkan blend. I like it for its balance of flavors that seem to change throughout the bowl.

It seems like your caps lock is on, or you’re yelling.
+1
Arango Balkan Supreme ... It's very flavorful and also surprisingly inexpensive since it's bulk only.

Rattray's Red Raparree is my favorite though, but just by a smidge.
+1

WhiteKnight is one of the very best latakia blends on the market right now. It's Russ Oulette's match for the old much-loved Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture.

Another excellent latakia blend is GLP's Westminster. Also, GLP Quiet Nights, which is his recreation of Nightcap, and IMO much better than the Peterson/Dunhill Nightcap.

If I could only have one latakia blend (unicorns aside), it would probably be a tossup between WhiteKnight and Westminster. They are both latakia-forward without being super heavy lat bombs.

Balkan Supreme is an excellent cheap bulk latakia blend, and punches way above its weight.

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
I would suggest GL Pease Quiet Nights, GL Pease Westminster, Arango Balkan Supreme, LJ Peretti Tashkent, G&H Balkan Mixture.

Reactions: mingc

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Some excellent suggestions so far, I have little to add.

I'm finally getting to the end of my old stack of Dunhill Nightcap tins (pre STG) which were my "ballpark" standard. But English can go in all kinds of directions (Balkan, English-aromatic, Lat-bomb). Some are sweeter, some have more of the campfire about them.

My favourite is probably still Plum Pudding Special Reserve (but it's a bit pricey). I also really enjoy Red Rapparee (which is more oriental with a sort of orange marmalade spice twang to me) and hear great things about the others mentioned in this thread.

G.L Pease blends (Westminster, Quiet Nights, Odyssey and Maltese Falcon) are all next on my buy list and are meant to be incredible (and readily available).

F&K Lancer's Slices and Arango Balkan Supreme are also meant to be excellent for the money (both are available bulk) but I've never tried them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Title edited for clarity and removing all caps. There is another thread by WNC etc that does not have all caps in title or body.

Please see Rule 9.

HELLO. I'M LOOKING FOR LATAKIA LOVERS TO PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT ENGLISH/BALKAN BLENDS YOU LOVE, WHAT IT IS, AND WHY... THANKS SO MUCH... WNCLEE28466
If you are successful, by the end of this thread, you will get suggestions for every latakia blend that has ever existed. Good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An old favorite for many is Peterson Mixture 965, formerly a Dunhill blend but still made by the same blender despite the brand name change. You can also get good match blends of this in bulk at a savings.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
What immediately comes to mind and hasn’t yet been mentioned…

Kramer’s Father Dempsey
LJ Peretti Omega and Cambridge Flake
Presbyterian
C&D Engine #99

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
They all suck. Don't smoke English/Balkan. Really. Seriously! I don't need any more English/Balkan, so it's not me trying to prevent you buying my favorite blend. Specially, don't ever buy Artisan's Blend. Oh what horror that blend is! Stay clear!

Reactions: cossackjack

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
They all suck. Don't smoke English/Balkan. Really. Seriously! I don't need any more English/Balkan, so it's not me trying to prevent you buying my favorite blend. Specially, don't ever buy Artisan's Blend. Oh what horror that blend is! Stay clear!
Hey don't tell people to buy Artisan's what the heck man

Reactions: bullet08

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
What immediately comes to mind and hasn’t yet been mentioned…

Kramer’s Father Dempsey
LJ Peretti Omega and Cambridge Flake
Presbyterian
C&D Engine #99
Great suggestions. I'll add:
LJ Peretti Royal
Sutliff Match Balkan Sobranie Original Mix Match (Bulk White Knight)