PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmcnabb

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2024
Title edited for caps and brevity.
Original: Help me with my next (larger) Peterson

I just bought my first new, in the box, sock and all, Peterson. After lots of perusin', I set to choosin', and I got a lovely Christmas 2023 model 230, sandblast. To me it's the perfect full bent shape.

But it's little.

I'm a good sized guy, with big hands, and it looks like a kid's toy. I'll keep it and use it certainly, but I'd like to get another one that has generally larger dimensions. Any ideas?

KIMG2540.JPG

I'm considering the 314 - I believe it's larger than the 317. And what about the full bent House Pipe? It also has wonderful shape and conformation.

I'm normally a Neerup or a Bent Bulldog guy, but I have several of those and would like to branch out.

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Title edited for caps and brevity.
Original: Help me with my next (larger) Peterson

I just bought my first new, in the box, sock and all, Peterson. After lots of perusin', I set to choosin', and I got a lovely Christmas 2023 model 230, sandblast. To me it's the perfect full bent shape.

But it's little.

I'm a good sized guy, with big hands, and it looks like a kid's toy. I'll keep it and use it certainly, but I'd like to get another one that has generally larger dimensions. Any ideas?

View attachment 311758

I'm considering the 314 - I believe it's larger than the 317. And what about the full bent House Pipe? It also has wonderful shape and conformation.

I'm normally a Neerup or a Bent Bulldog guy, but I have several of those and would like to branch out.

Many thanks for your help.
I believe thats (230) the smallest pipe bowl size they make.

rmcnabb

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2024
Thanks very much for the advice. I never was an Oom Paul guy so it looks like a House pipe might fill the size and style.

Last edited:

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Yep, House and Pub pipes are big, but I find there is a lot of gurgle. My go-to on any new pete line is looking for the Darwin B42 shape.
5c40371e64116f53e297ac46bcdac9df.jpeg

a655392520f6db419de04f09d2ede80a.png

28b4d099a2e5ee669efd81a13062def1.png

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Judging from the Petes I own and, if you're looking for longer smokes. of course I'd go with pub and house pipes. But, also find that my deluxe system pipes, the 4s, 11s, and 9s, give comparably long smokes, probably longer than my B42 system spigot. However, my actual Darwin standard gives a longer smoke than the B42