PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Thank you for the good advice! I will try the brass wire wheel thing. My plan is to stain the top darker in the end. I have noticed the stem too, and I hope that it will be solved when I bend it in the end, otherwise I will have to find another solution :puffpipe:

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I love it so far! You've clearly got some skill, and I've never carved a pipe so take this with a grain of salt... But I'd love to see it taper down to look like the back end of a pickaxe on the base (like a blade). keep it wide, but put an edge on it. Then do the same with the shank, but but keep a round section for the stem. kinda like that... anyway, just a thought :crazy:
Either way its gonna be beautiful

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I don't think that bending the stem will make any difference with the stem not lining up. In order to have the bend help, you'd have to bent it very close to the shank, and I don't think you can get it bent that close. Even if you did, you would most likely bend the tenon, which would then cause a gap between the stem and the shank.
I think that a little reshaping is the only fix of the off canter stem line. But I do like the shape you came up with, a lot.

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Ok, now it's done. The stem is still a bit out of angle and there are pits here and there, but my next one will be better :) I was surprised that it sits so well in the hand
2ndpipe1-600x300.jpg

2ndpipe2-600x268.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Pretty freaking sexy. If it were mine i'd put a more elaborate stem on that baby. That one just doesn't do it justice in my opinion.... Damn nice though. Great photos too man. What camera you using?

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Thanks!! Yes the stem do look a bit weak, but it was the one that came with the kit and I suppose it was intended for a smaller pipe. I would have liked to make a stem that had the shape of the shank but I dont really know where to get it or if you can fit another stem that wasnt made during the drilling. My camera is a Nikon d700, and I just use a lit lightbox as base under the pipe and a fluorecent desk light :)

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Yes! Thats the one, but in this case the photos would have looked the same with a $280 camera :)

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
pipe looks great, and i agree with uber, I really like your choice of stain with it.
:clap:

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
Pretty freaking sexy. If it were mine i'd put a more elaborate stem on that baby.
I would do the same, a more ornate Danish style stem may make the misaligned stem not so obvious. But that's probably the OCD in me speaking.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
As the saying goes, that's a damn fine first attempt...now make me 10 more just like it!

Seriously, that is beautiful work--you've got the eye and the hand for sure. Can't wait to see more work from you!

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Wow, I'm amazed, that's gorgeous! If my first pipe looks 1/4 as good as that I'll be happy :puffpipe:

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Thank you all for the nice comments. Atuukson: I will make some more pipes before considering to sell one, if I dont get any offer, I have to train a bit more :) I really feel like changing the stem now, I wonder if this is possible, the hole is 0.7mm wide, would a Danish style stem fit?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.