PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Tried a second cigar today. I’m now fully convinced that I should never take Reddit recommendations seriously ever again, because I’m pretty sure that A) these people don’t really have a clue, and B) they probably snack out of their cat’s litter box and therefore gravitate towards cigars with a similar flavor profile.

The first one I tried, a little while back, was a MUWAT KFC Pony. Didn’t turn out so well, and the clincher was my wife commenting that when she went out back for her morning smoke the following day, she thought something had taken a shit on the back porch, but the smell turned out to be coming from the nub of the KFC Pony from the day before, in the ashtray.

The second one, today, was a Bandido. That one actually started out surprisingly decent: earthy, tobacco-ey, with an interesting sweetness. An inch in, however, it started to turn into a okay straight tobacco with an alarming side note of...how do I put it...well, imagine the kind of gas station egg salad that brings with it the promise of violent diarrhea and plenty of crying on the toilet. That kind of slightly sulfurous, mayonnaisey, creamy, slightly rancid off-taste. The retrohale was regrettable and eye-watering.

If the whole stick was like that first inch, I’d probably like it. One down, 59 to go, which feels like a suitable punishment for taking Reddit seriously.

I also have a few 5 Vegas classic and gold sticks. I’m trying to work up the courage to try them. Somebody please tell me they’re a step up from egg salad.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My everyday cigar brand, back when I was still smoking them, was La Gloria Cubana. Good value, relatively speaking (cigars have gotten ridiculous in price IMO), and always a decent smoke, though not mind-blowing. I haven’t really had any cigars in quite a while though, so I don’t know what is currently out there. Montecristo is usually a good brand. Romeo y Julieta puts out good sticks. Macanudo used to make a Maduro that I liked. Cohiba, Punch, and Padron were some of my favorites as well.

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
Tried a second cigar today. I’m now fully convinced that I should never take Reddit recommendations seriously ever again, because I’m pretty sure that A) these people don’t really have a clue, and B) they probably snack out of their cat’s litter box and therefore gravitate towards cigars with a similar flavor profile.

The first one I tried, a little while back, was a MUWAT KFC Pony. Didn’t turn out so well, and the clincher was my wife commenting that when she went out back for her morning smoke the following day, she thought something had taken a shit on the back porch, but the smell turned out to be coming from the nub of the KFC Pony from the day before, in the ashtray.

The second one, today, was a Bandido. That one actually started out surprisingly decent: earthy, tobacco-ey, with an interesting sweetness. An inch in, however, it started to turn into a okay straight tobacco with an alarming side note of...how do I put it...well, imagine the kind of gas station egg salad that brings with it the promise of violent diarrhea and plenty of crying on the toilet. That kind of slightly sulfurous, mayonnaisey, creamy, slightly rancid off-taste. The retrohale was regrettable and eye-watering.

If the whole stick was like that first inch, I’d probably like it. One down, 59 to go, which feels like a suitable punishment for taking Reddit seriously.

I also have a few 5 Vegas classic and gold sticks. I’m trying to work up the courage to try them. Somebody please tell me they’re a step up from egg salad.
Sorry about your cigar woes! A bad cigar is truly a disappointing experience, especially because we usually go to a cigar or a pipe in the moments that we need to escape or enjoy ourselves a bit. What are your favorite pipe tobaccos/tasting notes? Maybe we could point you to a cigar with similar notes.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Sorry about your cigar woes! A bad cigar is truly a disappointing experience, especially because we usually go to a cigar or a pipe in the moments that we need to escape or enjoy ourselves a bit. What are your favorite pipe tobaccos/tasting notes? Maybe we could point you to a cigar with similar notes.

Oh, that’d be awesome! I have fairly simple tastes and an...uncultured palate. I’m especially partial to non-aromatics, but like the occasional bowl of something sweet.

My three go-to pipe blends are Peter Stokkebye Norwegian, Turkish, and Amsterdam. Prince Albert and Carter Hall are also nice. As far as aromatics go, I’ll occasionally reach for Lane 1-Q or RLP-6.

I can’t stand English blends, SPC Plum Pudding and Mississippi Mud were very off-putting. Tinderbox Sherlock’s Choice and Philosopher’s Blend ended up in the trash pretty quick.

Food wise, I’m a big coffee drinker. I like it black with a hint of sweetness, and generally go for stuff like Community Coffee Dark Roast. Big fan of dark chocolates, nuts, and breads. For booze, dark stouts and porters are good, especially stuff like Gulden Draak. I also have pretty basic tastes in hard liquor—Scotch whiskies like Glenlivet 12 and Balvenie Doublewood 12. Just in case that helps.

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
Seems like what might be throwing you for a loop is fire cured tobaccos like Latakia, Dark Fired Kentucky. Those types of tobaccos are in both the MUWAT KFC Pony and the SPC tins you mentioned. It also looks like you're smoking tinned cigars, try to find a local shop or an online website and order some non-tinned cigars. You never know how dry those tinned cigars get, some are really really dry. Look for vitolas like corona, robusto, londres. These sizes will give you more wrapper to filler ratio which sometimes makes for a more flavorful smoke since you're tasting more of the wrapper.

It might be worth checking out some good Connecticut wrapper cigars. But be careful with Connecticuts because when they are bad, they are really bad and can quickly get bitter and acrid in taste. Also super important with cigars & pipe tobacco in general - usually the slower you smoke the less bitter and more flavorful the experience will be. Especially with cigars, in my experience if I over heat the tobacco in a cigar sometimes it affects the rest of the smoke. So make sure you're not going too hard on the puffing.

A few cigars that you might like, just my opinion from personal experience:

Lighter end of the spectrum:
Drew Estate Undercrown Shade
Roma Craft Intemperance EC
Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne
La Galera Connecticut
Guardian of the Farm Apollo

Darker but not too stout:
Padron Londres, Delicias, 2000
Drew Estate Undercrown Maduro
My Father Flor de Las Antillas
Crowned Heads Four Kicks Natural & Maduro

Keep in mind a cigar will always be different from pipe tobacco. They'll always be a bit stronger. Think cigars = coffee / pipe tobacco = tea. But I think you'll like some of these. Just as a rule of thumb for me at least, anything by Padron is always going to be great. Can't ever go wrong with Padron. Let us know if end up trying some more cigars.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I don’t think I’ve tried either of those cigars, so I am not saying you are right and they are wrong, but I will say that Reddit is a younger crowd, and therefore tends to be less knowledgeable about pipes and cigars. You can see this by spending time on the PipeTobacco subreddit. You’ll get better information using this forum and dedicated cigar forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.