PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
So I ordered this tobacco based on the name and the fact that I was born in Seattle originally. Being the romantic I am I thought that it would smell like plum pudding. Boy was I wrong, it's aroma is more reminiscent of old dirty socks or dead fish. However is a nice smoke, so can't have everything. Why does it smell so bad? Also it arrived rather wet. I have waited a couple of weeks to dry it out and it seems to smoke better now. My previous experience Pipe smoking, Being a newbie, has been amphora, capt. Black, Peter Stokkebe and with Pipe and book.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Is this your first experience with an English/Balkan/Latakia type blend?
Plum Pudding is a Latakia blend with little or no added flavoring. It's going to have a distinct tin aroma, primarily Latakia tobacco, which is pungent. Personally, I think it smells wonderful and tastes even better. YMMV, of course. You say it's "not a bad smoke." I suspect it may grow on you as you get used to that distinct Latakia flavor and aroma. On the other hand, if you wish to avoid blends of this type in the future, watch out for tobaccos labeled or described as English, Balkan or Latakia blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been aging a tin for a few years. Sounds as if I'd like it real well. Also, you might want to circle back around and try the new Amphora Burley, if you like burley.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've been aging a tin for a few years. Sounds as if I'd like it real well. Also, you might want to circle back around and try the new Amphora Burley, if you like burley.
I'd pop it now if you haven't had it. A truly amazing tobacco. You may want to get more before the TOBACCOPOCALYPSE!!!!!
Winter is coming.....
And to the OP, danimalia is spot on, that's mostly the Latakia you are smelling. You will learn to love it, it probably just surprised you. Introducing yourself to latakia blends/non aromatics with that blend would be like introducing a bud light drinker to craft beer by handing them a 12% abv barrel aged Triple IPA with wild yeast. Or oh what's that, you like Kahlua? Here try this Laphraoig cask strength....baby steps.....
Crumble the tobacco off the cakes and spread it out on a table an hour or so before you smoke and it should be fine. I have smoked it right out of the tin plenty of times as well, when packed correctly and lit correctly it does fine.
If latakia ends up not being for you, Seattle Pipe Club makes numerous aromatics, as well as non aro blends that are latakia free, so you can still have your Seattle nostalgia without that sweet smokey funk.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
None of the Seattle Pipe Club blends smell like what they are named after. When he comes up with a new blend and are looking for names, I think they just throw darts at a map of Washington while blindfolded.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
None of the Seattle Pipe Club blends smell like what they are named after.
Actually glad to hear that. I have hesitated to crack open my Plum Pudding tin as the name is actually a turn off to me, so here is to hoping that I do not taste/smell any plum when I do finally try it.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I have a pound of the stuff Jared up and am currently smoking some as I type. It has grown to be one of my favorites. It's a delicious and complex blend that gives me a different experience in each pipe I smoke it in. If you havent tried it, and you enjoy a nice English/Balkan you are doing yourself a disservice by not trying it. As far as the smell, I actually really like the smell, to me it smells like an 18th cen, muli-purpose barn which is used to smoke dry out/smoke tobacco, and I mean that in the best way possible. Or what I would imagine it to smell like anyways. I will add, that it really shines with some drying time, but its still delicious right out the tin. If you like plum p, then I would definitely recommend wildman as well, its similar but I believe its lacking Cavendish and I think orientals? (I cant be bothered to look at the tin as I'm in a supreme state of pipe relaxation)

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
Great comments. It actually does smoke well. Just very different than what I am used to. I will have to try the new Amphora Burley for sure.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Perhaps that pungent smell of latakia shall grow on you. I had a similar reaction as yours when I started pipe smoking. Now I smoke english blends with latakia bombs exclusively :lol:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Huh, the first time I cracked a fresh tin I got distinct savory, BBQ, ketchupy aromas. Definitely not dead fish or socks. Maybe you got a weird bad batch? Plum Pudding is an outstanding Balkan, hopefully it grows on you.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I used to hate Latakia, and now its growing on me in a serious way. I actually mean to make a thread about what I should try as far as essentials go. I started on SPC Mississippi River, which may be my favorite all time tobacco now, and have just recently tried SPC plum pudding, and also enjoy it.
As others have said, it is the latakia you are smelling, some people love it, some hate it. If you hate it, you may love it some day. That was my experience, I have hated it nearly for the last 6 years, and pop, all of the sudden, I am a big fan. No clue why. I suspect scotch.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
A little bit of a joke, but I also have also gotten into smokey scotch as well over the past two years. Ardbeg, Laphroiag and Lagavulin specifically have been my go tos.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
A little bit of a joke, but I also have also gotten into smokey scotch as well over the past two years. Ardbeg, Laphroiag and Lagavulin specifically have been my go tos.
If you like those, make sure you get some Bowmore, Caol Ila, Various peaty Bruichladdich offerings (careful, some are unpeated), Kilchoman, Compass Box Peat Monster, Balvenie Peat week, Highland park, etc.
And if you dare, Bruichladdich Octomore. A monster coming in at +/- 150 ppm peat content. To put that in perspective, Ardbeg is around 55ppm. It's quite something.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
My first introduction to latakia was a generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard. At the time I described the aroma as 'asphalt, burnt rubber and butt'. My goodness it stunk.

My immediate thought was 'Do people actually smoke this crap?' so off course I had to try it in a small bowl. It didn't taste so bad.
Mixing it 50/50 with Windsail Virginia, I smoked a small bowl at night. One bowl was good, two was one too many.

Once it was gone I missed having that one small bowl at night.
18 months later and I now quite like the smell of a mild English. SPC Plum Pudding does have a unique smell but as others have noted , I pick up a BBQ/tomato sauce quality.
Plum Pudding and Mississippi River took some getting used to get it's preparation right. It definitely needs drying but not too much or it will turn to dust.

Personally I really enjoy both.
Latakia does take some of us a little time to become accustomed but once we are ..... Mild English blends now make up a good part of my rotation.
As an inhaler I choose milder blends that are low in nicotine [because I was heavily addicted to cigarettes for 35 years] so for what it's worth these are some of the blends that I'm enjoying;

Early Morning Pipe Match.

London Squire.

Holiday Match - for lovers of burley [a little too burley forward for my tastes so I've mixed it 50/50 with 310 Modern English which makes a lovely smoke]

Revelation.

Chestnut.

MacBaren Plumcake [Delicious but it bites me unless smoked in a meerschaum lined bowl]

Newminster #17 Luxus [Has an odd light topping. Once opened & aired for a week it dissipates to a more enjoyable level]

Sutliff 302 Light English.
As you can see, not all blends suit my tastes straight from the bag. Tobacco is heaps expensive here in Nanny State Australia so it's taught me not to waste a thing.

I've yet to buy a blend that I couldn't 'fix' by blending with a little something.

Tastes change over time - like many newbies I started with aromatics but quickly moved to non-aromatics.

Don't ever bin a blend. If one is not to your liking, jar it & store. Down the line you might find that you like it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I started on SPC Mississippi River, which may be my favorite all time tobacco now, and have just recently tried SPC plum pudding, and also enjoy it.
I loved Mississippi River as well, but I have been so turned off by this Special Reserve version I've been hesitant to get a tin of the regular again.

Status
Not open for further replies.