PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I bought several tins of Potlatch during that fire sale only to discover it wasn't for me (and now I have a shit ton of it). On the other hand Deception Pass... there's a tobacco worth getting excited about! Wish they'd have a blowout sale on that one.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Good thread - I too bought it possibly at the time you did. I found it of good quality - smokey fruity and oriental unfortunately I began to call it 'potluck' becuase it became a monotonous flavor of everything but the kitchen sink for me and lacking enough nicotine(at the time I was hooked) I took the entire can and threw it in the trash- Personally it wasn't worth my time - but it's good stuff - It was definitely a memorable experience and I immediately noticed that word

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Good thread - I too bought it possibly at the time you did. I found it of good quality - smokey fruity and oriental unfortunately I began to call it 'potluck' becuase it became a monotonous flavor of everything but the kitchen sink for me and lacking enough nicotine(at the time I was hooked) I took the entire can and threw it in the trash- Personally it wasn't worth my time - but it's good stuff - It was definitely a memorable experience and I immediately noticed that word

Potluck is about right. It's very random tasting. I understand they were going for an American-style English but C&D does that style way better if you ask me. I'm hoping to trade or sell my tins somewhere down the line, once they have a few years of age on them.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I wasn’t impressed with it. I don’t really love any of SPC blends. Plum pudding is good not great. Reserve is horrible. Potluck is alright. Wouldn’t buy it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I wasn’t impressed with it. I don’t really love any of SPC blends. Plum pudding is good not great. Reserve is horrible. Potluck is alright. Wouldn’t buy it.

Keep trying my friend, you haven't even gotten to Mississippi River or Deception Pass! You've slogged through the mud now try the good stuff.

Reactions: ChuckMijo

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Keep trying my friend, you haven't even gotten to Mississippi River or Deception Pass! You've slogged through the mud now try the good stuff.
I have not tried those two yet. I never herd of Deception Pass. I definitely will sample. Thanks

Reactions: logs

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
What the hell did I just smoke? I’m not sure if I got an off batch based on all of the incredible reviews I’m seeing, but this was like a fruit basket covered in flowers on steroids. It was overwhelmingly floral-y, almost to the point of being soapy. It didn’t align at all with the tin note, which is beyond reasonable, but this was a curveball I didn’t expect. I honestly had to dump the bowl because it made me think after this several month hiatus, I realized that I wasn’t missing much, and was contemplating selling it all. I’ve gone and retrieved a brick of Plum Pudding SR that has been aging in a jar for 4-5 months, as it’s my favorite blend and I’m strongly seeking reassurance...

Curse you, Potlatch.

Am I off the mark? Did I do something wrong? What the hell is going on here? This was borderline abhorrent and I find myself hoping it didn’t ghost...

Reactions: chopper

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
What the hell did I just smoke? I’m not sure if I got an off batch based on all of the incredible reviews I’m seeing, but this was like a fruit basket covered in flowers on steroids. It was overwhelmingly floral-y, almost to the point of being soapy. It didn’t align at all with the tin note, which is beyond reasonable, but this was a curveball I didn’t expect. I honestly had to dump the bowl because it made me think after this several month hiatus, I realized that I wasn’t missing much, and was contemplating selling it all. I’ve gone and retrieved a brick of Plum Pudding SR that has been aging in a jar for 4-5 months, as it’s my favorite blend and I’m strongly seeking reassurance...

Curse you, Potlatch.

Am I off the mark? Did I do something wrong? What the hell is going on here? This was borderline abhorrent and I find myself hoping it didn’t ghost...

@jiminks help!

Reactions: JimInks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Potlatch is more polarizing than I thought. Floral never would have occurred to me. Might be some variation in the batches. First the fans came out, then the critics. My 8 oz tin should be pretty mellow by the time I crack it, but for now, my emptied 2 oz tin remains a good memory. Thanks for the good posts, affirmative and critical. Few blends are everyone's "thing."

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe there was a switch in Orientals? Maybe your taste buds are off? Pipe needs a cleaning? Bad batch?

No clue. New pipe, never smoked. Could be the taste buds. Maybe I have the Rona. Damn. Thanks for ruining my day!

Had some Plum Pudding SR shortly after it and it was just as good as ever. I have no idea. Completely lost. I don’t claim to know what I’m doing, so there’s that; but this was a decidedly bad experience.

PM inbound.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
No clue. New pipe, never smoked. Could be the taste buds. Maybe I have the Rona. Damn. Thanks for ruining my day!

Had some Plum Pudding SR shortly after it and it was just as good as ever. I have no idea. Completely lost. I don’t claim to know what I’m doing, so there’s that; but this was a decidedly bad experience.

PM inbound.
It may be that it just doesn't suit you. Perhaps your taste buds don't like the Orientals. Try another pipe, one that's broken in.

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.